And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Aug 4, 2011, 5:52 AM EDT

Aubrey Huff, Orlando Cabrera, Pablo Sandoval, Jeff Keppinger

Giants 8, Diamondbacks 1: The Giants beat back the charging horde. Three hits and two runs scored for Carlos Beltran, three runs batted in for Orlando Cabrera and a strong six innings for Ryan Vogelsong. Jason Marquis: eh, not quite the game-changing acquisition Kevin Towers may have imagined.

Red Sox 4, Indians 3: Walkoff homer for Jacoby Ellsbury. His second game-winning hit in as many nights.

Mariners 7, Athletics 4: Get the sea-saw Seattle Mariners. Seventeen straight losses not too long ago and now five wins in their last seven. Charlie Furbush allowed one run and two hits while striking out three and not walking anybody. Not a world-beating performance, but it did at least allow me to say “Charlie Furbush.”

Phillies 8, Rockies 6: Ryan Howard drove in four with a homer and a double helping Roy Halladay get his 14th win despite not having his best stuff going.  Six wins in a row for inevitable and irresistible force that is the Philadelphia Phillies.

Brewers 10, Cardinals 5: I touched on this one yesterday. La Russa allowed Edwin Jackson to take just an awful beating. He said that it was because the bullpen needed the rest. Query: what is the point of having a zillion guys in your bullpen like La Russa insists upon if you can’t use the thing every day? Of course, La Russa largely led the charge to eliminate the traditional bullpen roles of “long man” and “mop up man,” each of whom would have been really useful here, so I guess we shouldn’t be shocked.  Three homers for Casey McGehee, by the way. Sorry to slight him here, but I’m still suffering from La Russa derangement syndrome.

Braves 6, Nationals 4: Nice to see that the real Dan Uggla has been returned to the Braves and that impostor Uggla who spent the first three and a half months with the team has been removed. Two-for-four with a big homer as Uggla extends his hitting streak to 25. As for the Nats: I think Chien-Ming Wang may be done. I like the guy, but if you face 23 Braves hitters and fail to strike out a single one, things are bleak. The Braves ain’t picky. Your mama could strike out six Braves hitters on short rest.

Cubs 1, Pirates 0: Matt Garza and Charlie Morton each threw seven shutout innings, but Starlin Castro connected on a solo homer off Chris Resop in the eighth. Oh, and Bob Davidson got all ejecty again in this one, because that’s what he does. Well, that and call an awful, awful strike zone, to the point where the announcers were openly wondering why he was still employed. Six straight losses for the former darlings of the NL Central.

Rays 9, Blue Jays 1: Carlos Villanueva didn’t fool anyone (2.2 IP, 9 H, 8 ER, 3 HR). Casey Kotchman, Ben Zobrist and Robinson Chirinos all went deep, and by then things were out of hand.

Tigers 5, Rangers 4: Doug Fister‘s Detroit debut worked out quite nicely (7 IP, 8 H, 2 ER). Homers for Ryan Raburn and Alex Avila.

Twins 11, Angels 4; Michael Cuddyer and Delmon Young each had two homers. One of Cuddyer’s was a grand slam. This is what happens when a sinkerball — in this case Joel Piniero’s — doensn’t sink.

Padres 3, Dodgers 0: Tim Stauffer shut out the Dodgers for six innings. Homer from Jason Bartlett as the Padres avoid the sweep.

Astros 5, Reds 4: Jordan Lyles finally gets the winless monkey off his back. J.D. Martinez was 3 for 4 with a homer and four RBI.

Royals 6, Orioles 2: Luke Hochevar shut the O’s down into the eighth inning. Billy Butler had a three-run homer in the seventh to give the Royals some insurance.

Yankees 18, White Sox 7: Good for the Yankees — rah rah rah — but seriously: A.J. Burnett was given 13 runs to play with — 13! — and he still couldn’t last the five innings to pick up the win.  All kinds of crooked numbers in the box score. Granderson had five RBI. Jeter went 5-for-6 with two runs batted in.

Marlins vs. Mets: POSTPONED: Rain is grace; rain is the sky condescending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life.

1. kiwicricket - Aug 4, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Sorry to start today off with yesterdays main topic, but it took me a while to put a finger on who La Russa reminded me of in that post-game interview. The ultra defensive but semi aggressive/obnoxious manner they defended themselves, while border-line bullying the reporter really reminded me of when McGwire was asked about steroids in his playing days.
    Not really saying anything about it, just found it pretty interesting both of them have the same reaction when they are lying through their teeth at the time.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Mr. Lucky continues his torrid streak crushing anything that is thrown his way. If the Phillies are going to win when Doc gives up 5 runs it’s almost not fair to the rest of the National League. Now for four against the defending champs. I’m thinking a split would be fine. Once again, the giants avoid Doc which is just OK by me. Seeing him for the first time in the playoffs is probably something that will be to the pitcher’s advantage and not the hitters.

Meanwhile, Ellsbury adds another million a night to his arbitration # it seems. Wow is this guy amazing or what. I guess now that the Yankees are so far ahead in the WC race, Bud Light will probably add another WC for 2012. Woo Hoo!!!

• kiwicricket - Aug 4, 2011 at 7:26 AM

“If the Phillies are going to win when Doc gives up 5 runs it’s almost not fair to the rest of the National League” Now now Christopher…..

Mr Lucky???

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Yes, because Ryan Howard’s RBIs are just a function of luck….virtually nothing to do with him. I mean, just look at his middling OPS for a 1st baseman.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM

In case people didn’t realize, that was sarcasm. I’m going to start putting all things meant as sarcastic in italics.

• kiwicricket - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:07 AM

I’m assuming the flashing button on my computer is the ‘sarcasm’ button. This was obviously ‘discussed’ previously, but missed it.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:21 AM

There’s no luck involved- he’s been sacrificing small animals to appease the gods.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:00 AM

If Ryan Howard is Mr. Lucky, then, using the same logic, Ben Francisco is Mr. Great.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I saw this you tube clip of the HR Dom Brown hit the other day against that top Yankee pitching prospect. First, it was a bomb. Second, it looks like they are working on some things with him down there. For the Phillies, it always seemed like he was on the front foot and slightly off balance. It looks like they are working on keeping him on his back foot. It begs the question, why does Greg Gross not come up with these ideas? Mayberry goes down and works on his stance and sees a big benefit….Oh, I will give Dubee his due yesterday. He spotted what Halladay was doing to allow those easy SB’s and worked to correct it. I’m glad that Dubee is doing something other than glare at KK.

• FC - Aug 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Now that KK is in the Bullpen Dubee had to glare somebody else. It was glaring at Halladay that allowed him to have his epiphany.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM

The only difference is that nobody glares at Halladay. If they did, they would turn to stone.

Halladay could stare down a gunfighter in the old west.

• bleedgreen - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I would love to see Dubee try and brow beat Halladay. I think half of the team would lynch Dubee. Not to mention 110% of the fan base.

• bleedgreen - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM

It seems like SOMEONE has to review what all of the coaches on that team are doing. Why are these guys constantly getting their mechanical flaws worked out in Lehigh Valley? Do the guys in the bigs just have a big head and don’t want to listen until they’re humbled by being sent to the minors? Are the coaches just hands off, thinking ‘we’re winning. lets not change anything’? Are they just not good, but since they’re winning no one wants to call them on it?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Well, Dubee didn’t help Ryan Madson a few years back add like 4 MPH to his fastball so some create is due there. Other than that, I’m not sure what he does. I’m sure there is some behind the scenes stuff. As far as hitting, I would assume that they have been telling Howard for years to wait on the ball and stop trying to pull outside pitches directly into the shift. Maybe he finally started to listen, I don’t know.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Shit, I meant that Dubee did help Madson and deserves credit for that. More and more typos by the day coming from me.

4. halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM

The Phillies are like a huge C-5 cargo plane that has reached 25,000 feet and still ascending. Nothing can stop this plane from reaching it’s ceiling, baby!!!

The Phillies will take at least 3 out of 4 against the Giants as the 4th ace returns this weekend with renewed vengance. Possible sweep sweep!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:03 AM

I’m worried about the absence of Madson. I hope he doesn’t miss the entire series. I have this sneaking suspicion he might. He is in LA with his wife, the Phillies play in LA Monday. Also, Scott Mathieson has joined the team in SF in case Madson is put on paternity leave. That move is confusing to me because Mathieson just started and pitched 6 innings the other day. Anyway, not having Madson would further tax a bullpen already pitching a man down. Everybody knows that Ben Francisco is going to be optioned on Sunday. I don’t know why they just didn’t do it last weekend and call up a reliever as a stop gap until Oswalt comes off the DL on Sunday.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I’ve stated it in the past before. I don’t believe in this male paternity leave thing and taking days off when your wife has a baby. I can see him missing 1 game for the birth of his child. OK. Kid is born. Now, come back to the team. We will need him for the Giants series.

These moving pitchers up and down from the big leagues to minors thing has become tiring. It seems they do this on a weekly basis now, especially with how many guys have come off the DL for the Phillies recently. I have no clue as to why they brought Matheison instead of Schwimmer. I don’t think they like Schwimmer too much. Not sure why. He’s pitching great.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I think, it this is just my best guess, that they would have to add Schwimmer to the 40 man roster. So, without that roster move, the only relievers eligible to be called up are Mathieson, Carpenter, Zagurski, and DeFratus.

• bleedgreen - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM

On top of that, they’re in friggan California. How do you call a guy up at 8:00pm ESTon a Thursday, and expect him to be in California and ready to pitch by 7:10PST on Friday? I’m guessing these guys play a game on Day 1 in the evening, then get called up, go home, pack their shit and get on a red eye. Get into California at 7am local time tired as hell, and have to be at the ballpark before noon to get acclimated with the team, etc.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I’d pull Zagurski off the 40 man roster and replace him with Schwimmer in a heartbeat. Seriously, what good has Zagurski ever done to justify him earning a spot on this team?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Zagurski is left handed. That gives him bonus points.

• bleedgreen - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Bicepts,

I think you NEED to give the guy at least 2 days off for it. Especially when you’re on the road. You need travel time and labor can take 8-13 hours. If the wife is in Cali and the team is playing at home, you want him to fly 6 hours out to Cali, be there for 8-13 hours, immediately jump back on a plane and fly 6 hours to Philly? Thats 19-24 hours straight of being awake and having adrenaline pumping. Do you really think he’s going to be useful to the team that night getting back? Chances are he’d be unavailable to pitch. Hell, Stutes pitched an inning on night and 2 innings the next and he was unavailable for 2 nights in a row following.

• Phillies Homer - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Zagurski is good at making Joe Blanton look athletic… other than that I don’t think he has much use.

• kiwicricket - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Lockheed C-5 cargo Galaxy = Philadelphia Phillies

-National origin: United States….hmmm not entirely correct but it’s a pass.
      -Introduction June 1970……thought they were older than that?
      -Status: Operational-Active: 33-Reserve: 45…..Sounds about right, but hat’s an awful lot of money/salary in the reserves which could be used for other things these days?

-Unit cost C-5B: US$167.7 million…… bang on!

“The Galaxy is capable of carrying nearly every type of the Army’s(TEAMS) combat(SPORTING equipment), including bulky items such as” _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ …..(insert name here)

Performance
      -Maximum speed: Mach 0.79 (503 kn, 579 mph, 932 km/h)……seems like an excellent BA!

-Cruise speed: Mach 0.77 (919 km/h)…..Clutch.
      -Range: 2,400 nmi (2,760 mi, 4,440 km)….Sabermetrics are a load of sh#t **

Ahhh this is where it gets interesting

-Service ceiling: 35,700 ft (10,600 m) at 615,000 lb (279,000 kg) gross weight….so the Phills have only 10,000 odd ft to go before reaching their ceiling??

-Rate of climb: 1,800 ft/min (9.14 m/s)…..YIKES! Means that they will reach this before I can proof read, finish my glass of wine and press send?? Ohh Nooo’s! According to the advance metrics related to Range, they might not be in very good shape in 10Hrs let alone October? Might just have to come back down to earth for a spell at some point.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM

You took my comparison to a whole new leve, kiwi. I like how you seemed to capture my opinion of Sabermetrics, yet at the same time downplay the Phillies.

Well played, Kiwi.

5. Jonny 5 - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I did some investigating and have stumbled upon some interesting news. Apparently Roy Halladay felt so bad for Kyle Kendrick being sent back to the bull pen while a young rookie gets the last starting job, that he actually extracted a good chunk of his Mojo and donated it graciously to Kyle for his last start (in hindsight it was soo obvious, 8 shutout innings my A$$ Kyle). Now it will probably take a week or two for all of his Mojo to rejuvenate to it’s proper levels, which he knew (he always knows). Anyway, I hear to extract Mojo it takes a large buck knife, ice, Jameson for the ice, something to bite down on, a funnel, and plastic on the floor. So let’s hear it for Roy, a true American hero.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Reminds me of an old Happy Days episode when Mork from Ork stole Fonzi’s “Cool”.

• kiwicricket - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM

That sounds like a date in Western Australia. You have an ‘Irrational hate’ for K.K Jonny.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Nooo, I like Kyle Kendrick. He’s a swell guy. I have just never seen him exhibit the cajones to throw 8 shutout innings in Colorado of all places. The “logical” explanation is noted above.

6. Old Gator - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Rain maketh mold. Rain causeth the levees to fail. Rain ruineth the basement furniture.

From an old traditional Arkansas folk song:

Hey neighbor, your roof is leaking. Why don’t you fix it?

I cain’t fix it now cause it’s rainin’. And when it ain’t rainin’, it don’t leak.

7. cur68 - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Well, dadgummit, t’was a beatin’ the Jay’s took last night. Just a good old fashioned country woodshedding. It wasn’t like James Shields was all that good; several balls where hit square and just went straight at people. Often his change was in the dirt at the 30 foot mark and he was missing his spots lots. The Beaver Men showed no discipline and struck out a lot. Villaneuva was just off. No control and got shelled. All the rest was just excellent Ray’s hitting and fielding. It’s likely they turn up with more of the same this morning in the decider.

Cecil vs. Davis for this one. Things don’t get easy for they Mighty Fur Birds till friday in Baltimore. Then they get to look shaky against a AAA team.

• FC - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Cecil should be ok

• cur68 - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

If he’s the same guy pitched Cecil’s last 2 games I concur. His extra 3 mph and downwards movement were just what he needed to be dominant. The real issue is if the Jays can hit Davis. Gonna take some discipline to do that.

• FC - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The real issue is if the Jays can hit Davis

I’m certain MLB will frown upon Jays hitters using their bats to smack a pitcher, and for 9 innings? Guy will be in a coma by then. It’s better if they stick to hitting his pitches.

8. uyf1950 - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM

The Yankees offense performed like a juggernaut, and well AJ performed like AJ maybe even worse this time.
    A Couple of days ago all the discussion about the Yankees starting rotation evolved around should the Yankees keep Hughes in the starting rotation. Hughes or Nova, Nova or Hughes, etc…In my opinion and it’s only that the real discussion should be what to do about Burnett. Should he remain in the rotation if both Hughes and Nova perform well the rest of the month? That’s the $16.5M question. I will probably be criticized for this but again if Hughes and Nova perform well over the next 2 or 3 weeks the Yankees could use a good “mop up” pitcher in the mold of Gaudin and Mitre. Be it an expensive “mop up” man but one that can do much less damage when he’s in there. That’s just my opinion.

9. FC - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM

What? No comment on Jerry Meals and another call at Home-plate? At least give the guy a mention: hey, this time we think he got it right… (The Rockies announcers put on their super-slo-mo glasses and said: “yeah, that was pretty close, foot in the corner of the plate, tag was high up the leg, we think Meals got this one right”).

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Did anybody else love when McCarthy exclaimed, “Wow, Halladay came in like a torpedo!!”

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM

He slid in feet first because he did not want to damage his biceps.

• cur68 - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Your best comment ever, HB.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Yes it is. Now take your commemorative wristwatch and go out a winner.

Nyuknyuknyuk….

10. spudchukar - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Currently, St. Louis employs the same number of relievers as the vast majority of MLB teams, 12. The recent trade, eliminated a couple of bullpen stooges, so the Cards no longer have any extra arms out there. At first blush I too questioned the wisdom of leaving Jackson in so long, but then I checked the recent reliever usage, and had to admit somebody needed to go at least 7, and that somebody happened to be Jackson. Plus the Red Birds got to see a little of Jackson’s makeup. Even though he got knocked around, to say the least, from what I saw he never quit, kept competing right up til the end, and that will go a long ways with his teammates.

11. APBA Guy - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM

As predicted, the A’s veterans woke up Monday and realized the trade deadline had passed and they were still wearing green and gold. Depression set in. Klown Kar defense, lack of offense, and rookie league starting pitching followed.The A’s are back, baby, and ready to lose. Swept in Seattle. I wonder if Brad Pitt will star in that one, too.

12. macjacmccoy - Aug 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

undefeated since the “over rated” Hunter Pence joined the team.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline