Casey McGehee hit three homers for a kid

Aug 4, 2011, 8:49 AM EST

Casey McGehee AP

This is pretty great. Casey McGehee hit three homers yesterday. After the game he told reporters that, in doing so, he kinda sorta fulfilled a promise to a kid.  No hospital bed was involved in this one, but it’s close enough to that old cliche that we’ll give him credit:

“This morning, I got to meet a little kid. His name’s Clayton. Clayton was being pretty shy, and I kept asking him, ‘Do you have any questions for me?’ He wouldn’t ask me anything. Finally, jokingly, his dad asks me, ‘Why don’t you hit a home run for him?'”

McGehee didn’t promise him that, but he did say he’d do his best not to screw up, and I think he fulfilled that promise.  In other news, I’m obligated by the American Society of People Over 30 to link to this.

1. natstowngreg - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Hmmm, promising a kid he won’t screw up. Not exctly Ruthian, more like a 21st Century take on the classic. But nice nonetheless.

2. chinny814 - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Kramer would have promised him three home runs. Seinfeldian reference.

3. mcfaj0dm - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I got to meet Casey on several occassions while playing AAA ball in Iowa. Great guy and great to the fans. Sad to see him leave the Cubs organization, but glad he’s getting a good opportunity with the Brew.

4. xpensivewinos - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I guess we can surmise that based on his statistical output this season up until yesterday, this is the first kid named Clayton that he’s met this year…..

5. clydeserra - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM

He pointed at someone after #3. I wonder if that was this kid

• dlindstedt2 - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM

i think that was more for the fans then the kid. The fans have stood by him. After his BIG slump that first hit, Brew Nation gave him a standing ovation. This probably had the same effect. Brewer fans stand by their players a lot. And dont abandon when things get rough. So I think the pointing was more of a recognition of that devotion to him from the fans.

6. 1943mrmojorsin1971 - Aug 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I guess today he’ll have to catch a ball in his hat

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4990)