Former Oriole Doug DeCinces to pay $2.5 million for insider trading

Aug 4, 2011, 3:33 PM EST

Doug DeCinces

Doug DeCinces had the unenviable task of following Brooks Robinson as the Orioles’ everyday third baseman. Clearly he was so disillusioned by the experience that he decided to turn to a life of crime 35 years later:

The Securities and Exchange Commission charged former professional baseball player Doug DeCinces and three others with insider trading ahead of a buyout by Abbott Laboratories (ABT). DeCinces will pay $2.5 million to settle the charges.

It wasn’t all that sophisticated an operation as far as these things go. Some more details here.  Basically, he got an inside tip, traded on it and profited.

I’m sure that Brooks would have done it way more smoothly.

1. hasbeen5 - Aug 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Abbot labs? Is Jim or Kurt involved?

2. clydeserra - Aug 4, 2011 at 3:40 PM

You invented this story just to post that baseball card, right?

3. royalsfaninfargo - Aug 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I would pay $2.5 mill just to be able to grow that ‘stache! That is a Hall of Famer!

• Joe - Aug 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

You have to consider the context. Sure the ‘stache looks good compared to all the goatees that you see today, but the 1970’s were a golden era of lip-centric facial hair. Think of Fingers and Gossage, both Inner Circle guys. Decinces’ ‘stache is above average, but I’m not sure it deserves recognition among the all-time greats.

Plus, he was pretty one-dimentional. The mustache is good, but his hair is pretty pedestrian compared to all the afros we saw back then, and he’s got no sideburns to speak of. Ultimately, I think we are looking at Hall of Very Good grooming here, not Hall of Fame.

• clydeserra - Aug 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Do you even make it out of your mom’s basement to see Moustaches?

DeCinces is an all time great, sure if you want a “Rollie Fingers Hall of fame” (tm JoPos) yeah keep him out. But I will take this throwback bushie curlie over Sal Bando everyday.

• The Rabbit - Aug 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM

As far as ‘staches from that era go, this was one of the best…and he still has a good one today.

4. jwbiii - Aug 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I don’t believe it. He never hit an inside pitch in his life.

5. kellyb9 - Aug 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM

If I were a judge, I would base my ruling purely on whether or not he still had the ‘stache.

6. thejokewriter - Aug 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM

It’s a decent ‘stache, but I heard Harry Reams is suing for trademark infringement.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Harry Reems. And his ‘stache was hardly his signature feature.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4937)
  2. M. Kemp (3476)
  3. J. Kang (2597)
  4. J. Upton (2587)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2565)
  1. C. McGehee (2536)