Jeff Francoeur: clutch hitter

Aug 4, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

Kansas City Royals Photo Day Getty Images

Some days I think the entire world is out to taunt me.  Today is one of those days.

Anyone have $70 I can borrow?

1. b7p19 - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I have to believe that an HBT reader works for Sky Mall and did this on purpose. Which one of you knuckleheads did this?

• cur68 - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I’m with b7p19 on this; the Sky Mall advertizer is an HBT reader. Its the only thing that makes any sense in the craziness that is “Jeff Fancouer: Clutch Hitter”.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Craig, people are really grinding your gears today and I must say, it’s an extremely enjoyable read for me. Hopefully a Phillies fan says something egregious next. That usually gets you going.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I’m glad I could render myself useful ;)

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Well played, as usual.

• jimbo1949 - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM

You call that egregious? You oughta take lessons from Bravo. His three part nozzle rant this morning was EPICALLY EGREGIOUS.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM

He failed me. No Tony La Russa on that list. That list is a fraud without TLR!!! Outraged!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Write your congressperson, J5. TLR will get his. I promise.

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Taunt?

Taunt.

• b7p19 - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Cold.

4. seanmk - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

there is only a slight difference between jeff francoeur and hunter pence.

• spudchukar - Aug 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Yeah, one is good and the other isn’t.

5. seanmk - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM

anytime you can bat constanza(hot bat!!!) instead of heyward, you got to do it.

6. Jack Marshall - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

The statement: “one might even argue that Jeff Francoeur is a decidedly unclutch hitter if one believed such a thing exists at the Major League level” is almost as irritating to me as the mislabeling. Of course “unclutch hitters” exist at the Major League level–the question is whether their lousy performance is just random chance or not. For example, the last I checked, Jason Varitek has hit significantly worse with the based loaded than the rest of the time, even though most players hit better. I think it’s fair to call him an “unclutch player;” I personally don’t enjoy seeing him come to bat withe bases juiced. If you want to believe that he doesn’t get over-anxious and choke in those situations, fine. It sure looks like he does, though.

7. illcomm - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM

looks like the braves have another star in the making….francour is looking a lot like heyward….at least with hype….will end up being same type of player

8. natstowngreg - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

While you’re there, could you pick me up a Litter Robot? Thanks.

9. Bryz - Aug 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM

In that same ad, there’s an autographed Rick Porcello baseball, of which he is labeled as the “Detroit Tigers ACE.” (CAPS is SkyMall’s, not mine)

SkyMall, Justin Verlander is on Line 2.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2645)