Joel Pineiro on struggles: “Honestly, the next thing I can do is sacrifice a live chicken”

Aug 4, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT

Sandiegochicken

Another ugly outing last night puts Joel Pineiro in danger of losing his spot in the Angels’ rotation and the veteran right-hander hasn’t been able to figure out why he’s struggling, telling Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times:

This is embarrassing. I’m making the team, the staff and myself look bad. I’ve got to turn it around. If it’s going to be like this the rest of the year, it’s going to be a long year for me.

I wish I had an explanation, but I have no idea what’s going on. I’ve tried everything. I’ve seen video, worked on mechanics, thrown in the bullpen. Honestly, the next thing I can do is sacrifice a live chicken.

Pineiro had a 3.84 ERA in 23 starts last season and a 3.90 ERA through 14 starts this year, but he’s coughed up 24 runs in 13 innings during his last four starts as his ERA ballooned to 5.31. Things got so bad last night that manager Mike Scioscia yanked the right-handed Pineiro in the middle of a bases-loaded at-bat against the right-handed Michael Cuddyer, bringing in the left-handed Hisanori Takahashi … who promptly served up a grand slam on his first pitch.

That speaks to how little confidence the Angels have in Pineiro at this point, but they might have even less confidence in the potential replacements at Double-A and Triple-A being ready to step into the rotation with better results. In the meantime: Joel, leave those chickens alone.

1. shanemcdowell - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Nah, they just need to get him a bucket of fried chicken.

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Is it better to sacrifice a chicken or choke one’s own chicken?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Apparently sacrificing the superfluous “t” in one’s handle does not have any curative effect.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM

tchicken?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM

It’s a joke. Sorry if it is offensive to you. What can I say? Take a class on humor.

3. Old Gator - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I’ve got some Santera and houngan friends here in Macondo who can take care of him. They’ve got chickens but they can go all the way up to goats and bulls. Depends on which lwa is giving him a hard time.

4. aceshigh11 - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Looks like Pineiro stole Jobu’s rum; is very bad.

5. jlinatl - Aug 4, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Now it’s just a matter of whether soon to be leaked PETA letter will come Fed Ex or UPS

6. frankvzappa - Aug 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

he should try rubbing some jalapeno up his nose…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win