Aug 4, 2011, 4:31 PM EST
Brett Lawrie was on the verge of being called up in May when a broken hand knocked him out for two months, but he’s hit .350 at Triple-A since returning in mid-July and today the Blue Jays officially added their top prospect to the roster.
There are questions about whether Lawrie can stick at third base defensively long term, but he’ll get a chance to play the hot corner for now with Jose Bautista shifting back to right field and his bat is the real draw anyway.
Lawrie, who was acquired from the Brewers for Shaun Marcum this winter, hit .353 with 18 homers and a 1.076 OPS in 69 total games at Triple-A, which is pretty damn impressive for a 21-year-old even at hitter-friendly Las Vegas in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League.
He didn’t show nearly that much pop at Double-A last season, hitting .285 with eight homers in 135 games, but the 16th overall pick in the 2008 draft ranked 10th on Baseball America‘s midseason top prospect list with the only position players ahead of him being Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Manny Machado, and Jesus Montero.
To make room for Lawrie in the lineup and Bautista in the outfield the Blue Jays demoted Travis Snider to Triple-A for the second time this season. Snider was once a very highly touted prospect himself, but he’s struggled to make consistent contact or control the strike zone. So far a .249 batting average and .308 on-base percentage have offset Snider’s significant power potential, but he’s also still just 23 years old.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 112
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 208
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (209)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)