Aug 4, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Reds top prospect Yonder Alonso is a first baseman, but the seventh overall pick in the 2008 draft is blocked there by reigning MVP Joey Votto.
In an effort to find a long-term home for Alonso in the lineup alongside Votto the Reds have been using him in left field and now Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that they’ve even started giving him some ground balls at third base.
I’ve seen plenty of prospect analysts express doubt about Alonso’s ability to be a decent left fielder, so third base is probably stretch.
With that said, Alonso did tell Sheldon that “third base was my position growing up” and “it comes easier than the other two positions.” Alonso also pointed out that he played first base in college in part because the University of Miami had Ryan Braun and Danny Valencia on the roster and “those were two pretty good third basemen.”
Regardless of his position Alonso hasn’t played much at all since being called up from Triple-A on July 26 and he seems far more likely to be traded this offseason than to see significant action at third base in Cincinnati. Alonso, who ranked 73rd on Baseball America‘s list of top prospects coming into the season, has hit .296 with 24 homers, 55 doubles, and an .842 OPS in 192 games at Triple-A, so right now his bat projecting as less than elite might be a bigger issue than his eventual home defensively.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)