Aug 4, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
The Cardinals just dropped two of three to the Brewers in a crucial early-week series, falling 3 1/2 games back of Milwaukee in the National League Central standings. And now it appears that the Cards’ problems have spilled off the field.
Not many details are currently available, and it’s possible that nothing more will leak out, but Mish was told that Laird called Molina a “cheater” at one point during the scuffle and that teammates eventually had to separate the two backstops.
Molina was suspended five games by Major League Baseball for bumping and spraying spittle onto home plate umpire Rob Drake during Tuesday night’s 8-7 victory in Milwaukee. Laird has been vaulted into starting duties in his absence. Perhaps that situation somehow played into Wednesday’s altercation.
Or maybe the brawl was born out of a high-stakes poker game. Bud Selig hates those.
UPDATE, 8:04 PM: According to Tim McKernan of KFNS 590 in St. Louis, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has confirmed that Laird and Molina got “into a disagreement” on Wednesday night.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)