Aug 4, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Of all of the litigation in which Frank McCourt is currently involved, the one in which I’m most staunchly on his side is his malpractice action — or malpractice action to-be — against the lawyers that handled the property distribution agreement between him and his wife.
As became clear during the divorce trial, one lawyer’s switching out copies of the agreement to fix what appeared to be a drafting mistake, rather than have Frank and Jamie re-execute a corrected agreement, was the turning point. It gave Jamie McCourt the opportunity — disingenuously in my view — to argue that she was always entitled to half of the Dodgers. But because of lawyer’s actions the judge was left with little choice but to set the agreement aside and treat the Dodgers as community property. That’s malpractice, pure and simple.
We’re not quite to the point where that’s being litigated, but Frank McCourt is in court today to make sure that day comes. The law firm sued him first, actually, claiming unpaid fees and hoping to head off the malpractice claim. Today Frank is trying to have the fee claim dismissed so he can proceed. And it’s important that he win it: he took a $30 million personal loan from Fox earlier this year, secured by the proceeds from the lawsuit. Risky as hell, but that’s Frank.
Anyway, Bill Shaikin, as usual, has the full story. Let us all enjoy the brief period in which we can actually root for Frank McCourt.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 30
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)