Aug 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Yesterday’s chicken-sacrificing speculation that Joel Pineiro was in danger of losing his spot in the rotation proved accurate, as the Angels demoted the veteran starter to the bullpen after an ugly four-start stretch in which his ERA rose from 3.90 to 5.31 in just 13 innings.
Mike Scioscia and company must have really been sick of watching Pineiro take the mound every fifth day, because their options to replace him in the rotation aren’t exactly great and the Angels aren’t going to name a replacement until next week.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times the candidates include relievers Hisanori Takahashi and Horacio Ramirez, Triple-A starters Trevor Bell, Jerome Williams and Eric Junge, and Double-A starter Garrett Richards. Richards is considered the Angels’ best pitching prospect, but it’s unclear if they’re ready to let the 23-year-old right-hander make the leap from Double-A.
Pineiro has been a mess for the past month or so, but prior to that he had a 3.88 ERA in 37 starts for the Angels dating back to last season, when they signed him to a two-year, $16 million deal. Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, and Ervin Santana give the Angels a potentially dominant playoff rotation, but they may need a fourth or fifth starter to step up in order to get there.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)