Aug 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Yesterday’s chicken-sacrificing speculation that Joel Pineiro was in danger of losing his spot in the rotation proved accurate, as the Angels demoted the veteran starter to the bullpen after an ugly four-start stretch in which his ERA rose from 3.90 to 5.31 in just 13 innings.
Mike Scioscia and company must have really been sick of watching Pineiro take the mound every fifth day, because their options to replace him in the rotation aren’t exactly great and the Angels aren’t going to name a replacement until next week.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times the candidates include relievers Hisanori Takahashi and Horacio Ramirez, Triple-A starters Trevor Bell, Jerome Williams and Eric Junge, and Double-A starter Garrett Richards. Richards is considered the Angels’ best pitching prospect, but it’s unclear if they’re ready to let the 23-year-old right-hander make the leap from Double-A.
Pineiro has been a mess for the past month or so, but prior to that he had a 3.88 ERA in 37 starts for the Angels dating back to last season, when they signed him to a two-year, $16 million deal. Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, and Ervin Santana give the Angels a potentially dominant playoff rotation, but they may need a fourth or fifth starter to step up in order to get there.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)