Aug 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Yesterday’s chicken-sacrificing speculation that Joel Pineiro was in danger of losing his spot in the rotation proved accurate, as the Angels demoted the veteran starter to the bullpen after an ugly four-start stretch in which his ERA rose from 3.90 to 5.31 in just 13 innings.
Mike Scioscia and company must have really been sick of watching Pineiro take the mound every fifth day, because their options to replace him in the rotation aren’t exactly great and the Angels aren’t going to name a replacement until next week.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times the candidates include relievers Hisanori Takahashi and Horacio Ramirez, Triple-A starters Trevor Bell, Jerome Williams and Eric Junge, and Double-A starter Garrett Richards. Richards is considered the Angels’ best pitching prospect, but it’s unclear if they’re ready to let the 23-year-old right-hander make the leap from Double-A.
Pineiro has been a mess for the past month or so, but prior to that he had a 3.88 ERA in 37 starts for the Angels dating back to last season, when they signed him to a two-year, $16 million deal. Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, and Ervin Santana give the Angels a potentially dominant playoff rotation, but they may need a fourth or fifth starter to step up in order to get there.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)