Aug 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Yesterday’s chicken-sacrificing speculation that Joel Pineiro was in danger of losing his spot in the rotation proved accurate, as the Angels demoted the veteran starter to the bullpen after an ugly four-start stretch in which his ERA rose from 3.90 to 5.31 in just 13 innings.
Mike Scioscia and company must have really been sick of watching Pineiro take the mound every fifth day, because their options to replace him in the rotation aren’t exactly great and the Angels aren’t going to name a replacement until next week.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times the candidates include relievers Hisanori Takahashi and Horacio Ramirez, Triple-A starters Trevor Bell, Jerome Williams and Eric Junge, and Double-A starter Garrett Richards. Richards is considered the Angels’ best pitching prospect, but it’s unclear if they’re ready to let the 23-year-old right-hander make the leap from Double-A.
Pineiro has been a mess for the past month or so, but prior to that he had a 3.88 ERA in 37 starts for the Angels dating back to last season, when they signed him to a two-year, $16 million deal. Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, and Ervin Santana give the Angels a potentially dominant playoff rotation, but they may need a fourth or fifth starter to step up in order to get there.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 53
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)