Aug 5, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
The latest arrival in Kansas City’s season-long influx of young talent is second base prospect Johnny Giavotella, who was called up from Triple-A last night.
While not among the Royals’ historic stockpile of elite prospects, Giavotella would be one of the top few prospects in plenty of other organizations. He hit .322 with an .855 OPS in 134 games at Double-A last season and batted .339 with an .872 OPS in 109 games at Triple-A this year to earn the call-up.
Giavotella’s modest power matches his 5-foot-8 frame, but along with the .309 career batting average he’s struck out just 212 times in 1,967 plate appearances while drawing nearly as many walks (192) as whiffs. If things go well for Giavotella he projects as a potential leadoff man and if his development stalls a bit he should be a solid contributor at the bottom of the lineup.
And either way he almost can’t help but be an upgrade over the man he’s replacing at second base, Chris Getz, who’s hit just .247 with a measly .309 on-base percentage and .281 slugging percentage in 168 games since the Royals got him from the White Sox for Mark Teahen in November of 2009.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)