Brad Hawpe undergoes Tommy John surgery

Aug 5, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT

Eric Patterson, Brad Hawpe

According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Brad Hawpe is done for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his left elbow.

Hawpe, who signed with the Padres over the winter, batted .231/.301/.344 with four home runs, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances before being place on the disabled list in June with a strained right middle finger. However, his elbow has been a problem for even longer.

The Padres have estimated that Hawpe will need nine months to recover from the surgery, which puts his status for the early part of next season in doubt. Hawpe’s contract includes a $6 million mutual option for 2012, but the Padres will almost certainly pay the $1 million buyout.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Dirty Giant Bastards.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Giants fans on twitter are ridiculous. Yes, Phillies fans are ridiculous too, but they are taking it to another level. First of all, Ramirez clearly hit Victorino for no reason. The Phillies were not show boating or violating any “unwritten rule”. He was pissed because the Phillies were scoring off him and him and Whiteside conspired to hit Shane. Then, when the umpire is advising Shane not to go beat the hell out of him, Whiteside is hopping up and down looking for a fight. So, he then tries to body slam Polanco which escalated the fight. Bunch of punk ass clowns if you ask me. I’m aware that this is not the proper thread for my commentary, but I am fired up and there is not an appropriate one at this late hour.

• D.J. Short - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Discuss on the new thread. Respectfully, of course.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Thanks….It wasn’t up when I posted this. My apologies. I must have missed it by seconds.

3. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Back to Brad Hawpe. I hope they removed that hanging “e” as long as they had him anaesthetized already.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3685)