Aug 5, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Brad Hawpe is done for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his left elbow.
Hawpe, who signed with the Padres over the winter, batted .231/.301/.344 with four home runs, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances before being place on the disabled list in June with a strained right middle finger. However, his elbow has been a problem for even longer.
The Padres have estimated that Hawpe will need nine months to recover from the surgery, which puts his status for the early part of next season in doubt. Hawpe’s contract includes a $6 million mutual option for 2012, but the Padres will almost certainly pay the $1 million buyout.
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him