Aug 5, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Brad Hawpe is done for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his left elbow.
Hawpe, who signed with the Padres over the winter, batted .231/.301/.344 with four home runs, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances before being place on the disabled list in June with a strained right middle finger. However, his elbow has been a problem for even longer.
The Padres have estimated that Hawpe will need nine months to recover from the surgery, which puts his status for the early part of next season in doubt. Hawpe’s contract includes a $6 million mutual option for 2012, but the Padres will almost certainly pay the $1 million buyout.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)