Aug 5, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Brad Hawpe is done for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his left elbow.
Hawpe, who signed with the Padres over the winter, batted .231/.301/.344 with four home runs, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances before being place on the disabled list in June with a strained right middle finger. However, his elbow has been a problem for even longer.
The Padres have estimated that Hawpe will need nine months to recover from the surgery, which puts his status for the early part of next season in doubt. Hawpe’s contract includes a $6 million mutual option for 2012, but the Padres will almost certainly pay the $1 million buyout.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)