Aug 5, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Brad Hawpe is done for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his left elbow.
Hawpe, who signed with the Padres over the winter, batted .231/.301/.344 with four home runs, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances before being place on the disabled list in June with a strained right middle finger. However, his elbow has been a problem for even longer.
The Padres have estimated that Hawpe will need nine months to recover from the surgery, which puts his status for the early part of next season in doubt. Hawpe’s contract includes a $6 million mutual option for 2012, but the Padres will almost certainly pay the $1 million buyout.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8