Carlos Lee has more career plate appearances than the rest of the Astros combined

Aug 5, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT

Carlos Lee Getty Images

The other day I wrote about how ugly the Astros’ lineup looks after trading away Hunter Pence, Michael Bourn, and Jeff Keppinger.

But as Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle points out, the lineup is incredibly inexperienced in addition to being really, really bad:

Carlos Lee has 7,967 career plate appearances, or four more than the rest of the position players on the active roster combined. Three of those players–second baseman Jose Altuve, left fielder J.D. Martinez and third baseman Jimmy Paredes–have made the jump from Class AA in the past three weeks.

Campbell goes on to write about the odd situation Carlos Lee is in on a terrible, rebuilding team, for which he can thank a contract no other teams wanted any part of at the trade deadline. Houston is 366-412 since signing Lee to a six-year, $100 million deal in November of 2006 and despite being in a steep decline at age 35 he’s still owed $18.5 million for next season.

1. shanemcdowell - Aug 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Good timing on the story, as it will no longer be true by tomorrow.

And yes, I understand that’s not the point, but I definitely expected the difference to be more than four at bats. I can just imagine Steve Campbell running the numbers on Monday and cursing the Gods for leaving work early the week before.

2. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Doesn’t matter. Any lineup with Jose Altuve is fine by me.

3. SmackSaw - Aug 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Don’t let Tony Regans know Carlos Lee is available.

4. hk62 - Aug 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Aaron – by definition, an inexperienced line up cannot be “terrible” because you don’t have enough information to make that assessment, unless accurate analysis isn’t important.

AND Martinez and Altuve are certainly not terrible. Carlos Lee on the other hand…

Coolest thing for this 3 gamer with MIL, line up will be totally different that what they saw in the midst of the deadline moves. Go Astros!

• Joe - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I have zero major league experience, but I can assure you that if I were suddenly inserted into a major league lineup, I’d be terrible.

• spudchukar - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Joe, thanks, made me chuckle. Point made.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3026)