Juan Nicasio hospitalized after being struck in head by comebacker

Aug 5, 2011, 9:34 PM EDT

Juan Nicasio

UPDATE: Here’s the latest update from the Rockies:

Juan Nicasio is at a local hospital resting and undergoing tests after being struck on the right side of the head.

9:34 PM: Very scary moment in Denver.

Juan Nicasio left tonight’s game against the Nationals in the top of the second inning after being struck in the right side of his head by a comebacker off the bat of Ian Desmond.

Nicasio immediately fell to the ground and was lying on his back with very little movement while medical personnel prepared to load him on a stretcher. He eventually moved his hands while his neck was being stabilized. The young right-hander was then strapped into a stretcher and moved off the field on a golf cart.

Nicasio, 25, made his major league debut in May and has a 4.08 ERA over his first 13 major league starts.

We’ll pass along more information on his status when we get it.

1. frankvzappa - Aug 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Jesus. Hopefully nothing worse than a concussion. Hard to tell on replay, but that looked like it got him in the temple. Considering the nature of the game, I’m surprised that doesn’t happen more often, but thank god it doesn’t. Holy crap.

• cavredleg15 - Aug 6, 2011 at 2:37 AM

So who is the asshole with the thumbs down? I’d love for this site to be able to list Up/Down by username.
      How is anything what was said in the above comment worthy of a thumbs down?
      Does this person wish bodily harm on people?

• frankvzappa - Aug 6, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Haha. People just don’t like me around here. They thumbs down my posts regardless of content. Mostly Yankees and Phillies fans, though, so their opinions mean absolutely nothing.

• bambam08 - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I hope he’s ok. I still play & pitch & that’s the one thing that scares the hell out of me that might happen.

frankvzappa I’m tired of all the comments people make about how Phillies fans probably like this or that when something bad occurs. I’ve been a Phils fan my entire life & the majority of their fans are like me. Sure there are the drunk idiots in the crowd that will cheer for something like this but they are in the small minority.

Other fans have done stuff like has happened in Philly & it gets dropped by the media fast. Ex: Brown’s fans throwing beer bottles on the field & Yankees fans throwing bottles into the Ranger bullpen during the playoffs last year (Fox just turned the cameras away & didn’t mention anything about it). In Philly they’d have had it on the news for at least a week blasting us. There was even an incident with the Raiders when they played at the Rose Bowl That was on a 20 / 20 type show in the ’90s where the fans made a fan wearing a Steelers shirt paralyzed unable to move his arms or legs. Nobody brings that up, but everyone brings up throwing snowballs at Santa from the ’60s. Which of the following are worse:
        1 paralyzing someone for wearing the wrong shirt
        2 throwing snowballs at Santa

Throwing snowballs at Santa is not good but he could walk away from the incident.

2. jonirocit - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Very sad good luck to this man that was savage , not good!

3. jaysfan64 - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Hope this guy’s OK – happens a lot but still sickening when it does….

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline