Mark Trumbo’s power matched only by his out-making ability

Aug 5, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT

Mark Trumbo AP

I was watching the Angels-Twins game last night when Minnesota television analyst Bert Blyleven advised Francisco Liriano to “throw the slider to this big donkey.”

Liriano obliged and Mark Trumbo hit the ball approximately 700 feet for a three-run homer.

It was Trumbo’s 21st homer, which ranks eighth in the AL and is very impressive pop from a rookie. On the other hand, Trumbo is old for a rookie at 25 and his power comes with a ghastly .297 on-base percentage and 80/19 K/BB ratio.

Trumbo is on pace to hit 30 homers with an on-base percentage below .300, which is something only 17 hitters in baseball history have accomplished. Actually, only 14 different hitters, since Dave Kingman did it four times. Here’s the list of 30-homer, sub-.300 OBP seasons during the past 20 years:

YEAR      OBP     HR
Mike Jacobs       2008     .299     32
Chris Young       2007     .295     32
Tony Batista      2004     .272     32
Jeromy Burnitz    2003     .299     31
Jose Valentin     2004     .287     30

Oddly, no one hit 30 homers with a sub-.300 OBP during the 1990s, but it happened five times in the 2000s and seven times in the 1980s.

1. b7p19 - Aug 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Who wants to see me whack some dingers?

2. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 5, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Dumb question Aaron, but did Blyleven then say something to the effect like “oops” or “well that was a dumb comment”?

3. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Yeah, but what is his BA with RISP?

• kopy - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Mark Trumbo is always is scoring position.

4. sneschalmers - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM

The new Mark Reynolds?

• 5thbase - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM

If he has the potential to lead the world in errors then yes. Otherwise no.

• wvan10 - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Only in Mark Reynolds’ wildest dreams. All Trumbo has to do is walk a little more. He is still a young hitter and a great glove as well.

5. pauleee - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM

To be fair, the hold team is exceptional at making outs. And just a game back of Texas. So far I think he’s filled in quite well for Morales. Better than expected.

• Phillies Homer - Aug 5, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Yea… but what does being a good kisser have to do with winning baseball games?

6. crispybasil - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM

A Mike Jacobs mention!

7. purnellmeagrejr - Aug 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I was waiting for Kingman’s name as soon as I started the article.

8. purnellmeagrejr - Aug 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I couldn’t get this story out of my mind…the more I thought about it the more I realized MLB only rewards a certain type of performance – e.g. The Cy Young Award for best pitcher.
    This practice neglects the finely calibrated performances of athletes who have a very specific skill – in this instance hitting home runs and making outs. I suggest that MLB add the Dave Kingman award for the most all or nothing player in either league – with a special ring added if the player breaks the Cubs record for RBI ion a season.

9. cosanostra71 - Aug 5, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I personally like Trumbo. He’s a good defensive player, and he really only needs to learn more patience at the plate to become a pretty damn good offensive player. 30 HRs as a rookie is very impressive and I think he can improve.

I do wish the Angels would start focus on OBP more though. The last few years they have trended towards players with lower OBP than in the past. They either need to pick up some players that can get on base more or they need to bring in someone to help the guys they already have get better at it. It’s a big reason why they have so much trouble with multi-run innings.

10. deepstblu - Aug 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM

For some reason this reminds me of Russell Branyan’s brief tenure as a Phillie in 2007. Nine plate appearances; six strikeouts, two hits (both home runs) and one other out. A .222 OBP, .889 slugging and .000 BABIP. Small sample sizes can be fun sometimes.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4996)