Aug 5, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
Mike Stanton won’t even be eligible for arbitration until after the 2013 season, but the Marlins are already planning for their future.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, the Marlins are holding “preliminary internal talks” about a long-term contract for the young slugger. However, the team hasn’t come up with anything specific in terms of dollars and years and probably won’t make an offer until next year when they move into their new stadium.
Stanton, 21, enters play Friday with a .259/.330/.528 batting line to go along with 25 homers, 67 RBI and an .858 OPS over 427 plate appearances this season. He has 47 home runs over his first 205 major league games. Only Curtis Granderson, Albert Pujols, Mark Teixeira and Jose Bautista have more home runs since Stanton made his major league debut on June 8 of last year.
One comparable mentioned by Capozzi is Brewers’ outfielder Ryan Braun, who signed an eight-year, $45 million contract during his second major league season in 2008. Of course, the Marlins signed shortstop Hanley Ramirez to a six-year, $70 million extension during his third major league season in 2008.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)