Aug 5, 2011, 9:15 PM EST
Mike Stanton won’t even be eligible for arbitration until after the 2013 season, but the Marlins are already planning for their future.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, the Marlins are holding “preliminary internal talks” about a long-term contract for the young slugger. However, the team hasn’t come up with anything specific in terms of dollars and years and probably won’t make an offer until next year when they move into their new stadium.
Stanton, 21, enters play Friday with a .259/.330/.528 batting line to go along with 25 homers, 67 RBI and an .858 OPS over 427 plate appearances this season. He has 47 home runs over his first 205 major league games. Only Curtis Granderson, Albert Pujols, Mark Teixeira and Jose Bautista have more home runs since Stanton made his major league debut on June 8 of last year.
One comparable mentioned by Capozzi is Brewers’ outfielder Ryan Braun, who signed an eight-year, $45 million contract during his second major league season in 2008. Of course, the Marlins signed shortstop Hanley Ramirez to a six-year, $70 million extension during his third major league season in 2008.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)