Aug 5, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
Mike Stanton won’t even be eligible for arbitration until after the 2013 season, but the Marlins are already planning for their future.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, the Marlins are holding “preliminary internal talks” about a long-term contract for the young slugger. However, the team hasn’t come up with anything specific in terms of dollars and years and probably won’t make an offer until next year when they move into their new stadium.
Stanton, 21, enters play Friday with a .259/.330/.528 batting line to go along with 25 homers, 67 RBI and an .858 OPS over 427 plate appearances this season. He has 47 home runs over his first 205 major league games. Only Curtis Granderson, Albert Pujols, Mark Teixeira and Jose Bautista have more home runs since Stanton made his major league debut on June 8 of last year.
One comparable mentioned by Capozzi is Brewers’ outfielder Ryan Braun, who signed an eight-year, $45 million contract during his second major league season in 2008. Of course, the Marlins signed shortstop Hanley Ramirez to a six-year, $70 million extension during his third major league season in 2008.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)