Memorabilia dealer arrested for selling phony jerseys

Aug 5, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Dragnet

Shocking: a guy selling allegedly game-worn jerseys turns out to have been passing out fakes.  Doubly shocking: the word “Authentics” appeared in the name of his business. You just can’t trust anyone these days!

Steven Jensen, co-chief executive officer of Vintage Sports Authentics, was accused in Manhattan federal court of mail fraud and wire fraud. Christopher Cizin, a postal inspector, said in an affidavit that a buyer from the Bronx paid about $3,000 for a jersey represented as one worn by Rodriguez as a Seattle Mariner in 1995. An authenticator and a former Mariners equipment manager said it was not authentic.

Best part: he was arrested at a memorabilia and collectibles show.  I wonder if the timing of that was designed to send a message to the other hucksters in the room that they’re being watched.

Ugly business. Don’t let anyone sell you memories. Make ‘em and keep ‘em yourself.

1. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Aug 5, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Nice Dragnet photo. Just the fact, ma’am.

• natstowngreg - Aug 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Classic.

2. koufaxmitzvah - Aug 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I’ve got some sweat and chili stained t-shirts. Authentically worn by me. With a nice dose of THC sucked into the threads. I’m a gamer, baby.

Hit me up on Etsy.

3. kellyb9 - Aug 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I’m fine with buying a jersey, but who cares about game used equipment unless its signed. Even then, there are professional organizations who authenticate merchandise. Don’t buy something unless you have a certificate from a reputable organization.

4. marshmallowsnake - Aug 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The whole memorabilia sect is a joke…

5. purnellmeagrejr - Aug 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM

No one who hasn’t seen can appreciate the damage caused by this horrible crime. The anguish, the emotional scars, the loss of ability to trust – to love. Yes, even to love. My prayers go out to them.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey