Aug 5, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
Nate McLouth was placed on the disabled list last week with a lower abdominal strain, but Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that the Braves outfielder underwent sports hernia surgery yesterday and is expected to miss six more weeks.
McLouth hasn’t ruled out playing again this season, but he’ll definitely be up against the clock and a rehab assignment won’t be possible as part of his recovery because the minor-league season will be over by then.
Of course, with Michael Bourn taking his place as the Braves’ starting center fielder there isn’t as much incentive to rush McLouth back. He was hitting just .228 with a .677 OPS in 81 games prior to the injury and that production looks even worse in an outfield corner.
Interestingly, when the Braves placed McLouth on the DL last week manager Fredi Gonzalez indicated that he’d been playing through the abdominal injury since the first week of the season. Given the need for surgery now that could explain his struggles, although McLouth hit even worse last season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)