Aug 5, 2011, 7:49 PM EST
Zach Britton‘s rookie campaign has taken another unfortunate turn.
According to Roch Kubato of MASNSports.com, the Orioles have placed Britton on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left shoulder. He was cleared to make room for Cesar Izturis, who is back from elbow surgery.
It’s always scary when you hear something about a pitcher’s shoulder, but hopefully this is more about fatigue and/or losing his mechanics than Britton being seriously hurt. The young left-hander has allowed 15 runs (10 earned) on 19 hits over two starts since returning from the minor leagues last Saturday.
Britton, 23, has a 4.66 ERA and 68/40 K/BB ratio over 20 starts this season. After posting an impressive 2.89 ERA through his first 10 major league starts, he has an ERA of 8.00 over his last 10 outings. Ouch.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)