Aug 5, 2011, 7:49 PM EST
Zach Britton‘s rookie campaign has taken another unfortunate turn.
According to Roch Kubato of MASNSports.com, the Orioles have placed Britton on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left shoulder. He was cleared to make room for Cesar Izturis, who is back from elbow surgery.
It’s always scary when you hear something about a pitcher’s shoulder, but hopefully this is more about fatigue and/or losing his mechanics than Britton being seriously hurt. The young left-hander has allowed 15 runs (10 earned) on 19 hits over two starts since returning from the minor leagues last Saturday.
Britton, 23, has a 4.66 ERA and 68/40 K/BB ratio over 20 starts this season. After posting an impressive 2.89 ERA through his first 10 major league starts, he has an ERA of 8.00 over his last 10 outings. Ouch.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 8
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 59
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 69
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)