Some wonderfully random Matt Stairs facts

Aug 5, 2011, 11:34 AM EST

stairs close-up getty Getty Images

Matt Stairs’ most notable moment was almost certainly his homer in Game 4 of the 2008 NLCS. But the guy played for so long and for so many different teams that he pretty much saw and did it all in his major league career.

Over at The Hardball Times today, Chris Jaffe collects some of the neat, weird and wonderful of Matt Stairs’ career.

Did you know he had six RBI in one inning once? Or that he once played second base (only once)?  If not, and if that intrigues you, give Chris’ piece a click.  Time well spent.

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 5, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Another notable thing about Matt Stairs that some Phillies fans might have forgotten…he hit the last home run that the beloved Harry Kalas ever called before passing away.

Matt Stairs, thanks for 2008. You will never have to buy a meal in Philly ever again.

• kellyb9 - Aug 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM

“You will never have to buy a meal in Philly ever again.”
      Coming from the guy who always makes fun of Joe Blanton, that’s a pretty risky statement there.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Lol, Kelly. Yeah, I do tend to overstate Joe’s weight in my jokes. But, then again, don’t most Phillies fans? Risky? Nah.

• mox19380 - Aug 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM

my friends and I joke that the hr he hit in gm6 in LA still hasn’t landed. it is one of the most memorable moments in my 25+ years of watching Phillies baseball. The Canadian Lumberjack definitely made an indelible memory on my brain that night in October

2. sportsdrenched - Aug 5, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Did I ever tell you about the time Matt Stairs and I went out for a drink. He stops in this abandon field and he says “Here we are”. We sit there for a year and a half. Sure enough they build a bar around us. He orders a shot. Knocks it back, and then burns the bar down. He then says: “always leave thing the way you found them”.

Or something like that.

3. trevorb06 - Aug 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM

‘Matt Stairs makes his major league debut. Fittingly enough, he’s a pinch hitter. He fans on four pitches in the 10th inning against Cincinnati Reds hurler Rob Dibble. That’s how long Stairs has been around—he faced Dibble with the Reds.’
    -What was all that talk Dibble gave about pitchers lasting 15-20 years again?

4. SmackSaw - Aug 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM

One of the best fat guys in the game.

“I ain’t an athlete, lady, I’m a baseball player.”

-John Kruk

5. kellyb9 - Aug 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Matt Stairs is the only player to play for the A’s when they were in Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Oakland.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 5, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Good one, Kelly. That would make Stairs about 98 years old.

6. j0esixpack - Aug 5, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Having watched Stairs when he played for the Pawtucket Red Sox it’s been fun to follow his long and improbable career.

Sure, I wonder how that tiny 5 foot 9 guy bulked up and turned into a 100 plus RBI guy, but I have the same question about the majority of MLB players.

I hope he did do it “clean” because if so, his is a great story of how hard work and perseverance can pay off.

Another interesting career worth following was that of Ron Mahay, who retired last year and how the former scab replacement outfielder wound up becoming a decent major league pitcher over a 14 year major league career. Although he’s banned from being a member of the players association, had he not crossed the picket line in 1995 he might never have had the opportunities he did (I’ve always wondered whether he had to take crap in the locker-room from union players long after that)

• cleverbob - Aug 5, 2011 at 6:04 PM

He bulked up the old fashioned way – lots of ham.

7. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I’ve been checking the stelae against my Rosetta stone, and can now confirm that Stairs did see action at Aleppo during the Third Crusade, took a spear in the tush, and was placed on the 600-year disabled list afterwards.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5539)
  2. M. Kemp (3184)
  3. C. McGehee (2965)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2959)
  5. J. Upton (2904)