Talking about the Braves with Ted Berg

Aug 5, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

In the runup to the Braves-Mets series this weekend, Ted Berg of SNY.TV had me on The Baseball Show today to talk about the Braves. It’s about 70% gloom, 30% bright future talk if you’re a Braves fan. If you’re a Mets fan, reverse those ratios.  I’m probably too pessimistic about Braves hitting prospects, actually.

Enjoy

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Craig, I did enjoy the interview. You stated something interesting. The Braves future is bright with all of the young arms that are in AAA and that the Braves can scout pitching talent, but not very good at scouting hitting talent. I wonder why this is the case? If you have a great farm system, logic would seem to dictate that you can do both. Just a thought…

2. spudchukar - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Valid suggestion ‘Cepts, but lets face it some teams have good pitching coaches and less effective hitting coaches.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM

True, but coaches do not scout players and their talent. That’s usually a role that is reserved for actual “scouts”, people that do not coach but are out in the field judging the crop that’s out there.

Coaches can help a little. But, there is only so much you can do with the progression of a player. They need the god-given talent to shine.

3. triplecrownking - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I watch the Braves four to five nights a week and its quite obvious to me that Heyward and Gonzo are the biggest problems in terms of offense right now. I agree, the team has not been clutch as a whole at the plate. Prado could be alright at SS and an upgrade over Gonzo once Chipper returns. Gonzo certainly has a better glove at SS, however I would take the plate production Prado provides. Let Constanza play a bit more to see if he can maintain his line. Let Hinske spell with Heyward while he struggles and McClouth should return soon (Not that McClouth is the answer, he has had good games though). Infante would be a blessing for this team given his utility if we could acquire him off waivers, unfortunate news about his finger. Now that the Braves have their CF its time to look for a SS to fill the gap if Pastornicky really is the long term solution. Given that Chipper is set to retire this year or next I think it would be worthwhile to find another 3B/SS guy to go with Prado and Pastornicky as Prado could always adapt to another position as he has thus far in his career.

• mightywu - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Nate may be lost for the season.

• triplecrownking - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM

And to place my foot in my mouth I see McClouth is of no use from here on out.

4. mightywu - Aug 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

The bravo’s need to get on their horse if they want to lock up the wildcard. You can have all the pitching in the world, but if ya don’t have some bats to back it up…………….

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM

The Braves have played .500 ball since the break (below average for them) and are still 2.5 games up in the WC race. Can we say overreaction? Perhaps I’m just more optimistic than the rest of Braves “nation”, but let’s relax a little shall we? This isn’t the Pirates we’re talking about.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 5, 2011 at 4:31 PM

..to add, they have the next best record in the NL so what’s the worry again?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 5, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Exactly, El Bravo. The Braves will be fine. You guys still have a pretty good team. But, I can see the concern from Braves Nation, and it may be warranted a little bit.

• FC - Aug 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM

The Braves will be fine, because both San Fran and Arizona are going to bludgeon each other the same way the Padres and the Giants did last year. And in the Central There Will Be Only One.

• tommyshih - Aug 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM

More like a pillow fight out west, rather than a true bludgeoning, considering Arizona is the only team with a positive run differential. The Giants have been extremely lucky this season.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3404)