Aug 5, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Various contending teams called Minnesota about Michael Cuddyer prior to the trade deadline, but the Twins turned down all advances and made it pretty clear that they want to re-sign the 32-year-old impending free agent.
And according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune their attempt to keep Cuddyer in Minnesota began with a two-year, $16 million extension offer.
Christensen reports that “the conversations went no further” with Cuddyer “preferring to hold those negotiations in the offseason.”
And he’s smart to do so. Committing to Cuddyer for much more than two years and $16 million would be a big risk for the Twins, but he’s earning $10.5 million this season and there’s no reason for him to accept a pay cut before at least seeing what the open market is like.
Cuddyer is having arguably his best season, making the All-Star team for the first time and hitting .301 with 18 homers and an .865 OPS in 105 games while seeing action at first base, second base, and his usual right field. It’s hard to imagine him not being able to get $16 million as a free agent and considering the Twins’ unabashed love of Cuddyer it’s also hard to imagine them not increasing the offer if other teams are involved.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)