Aug 5, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Various contending teams called Minnesota about Michael Cuddyer prior to the trade deadline, but the Twins turned down all advances and made it pretty clear that they want to re-sign the 32-year-old impending free agent.
And according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune their attempt to keep Cuddyer in Minnesota began with a two-year, $16 million extension offer.
Christensen reports that “the conversations went no further” with Cuddyer “preferring to hold those negotiations in the offseason.”
And he’s smart to do so. Committing to Cuddyer for much more than two years and $16 million would be a big risk for the Twins, but he’s earning $10.5 million this season and there’s no reason for him to accept a pay cut before at least seeing what the open market is like.
Cuddyer is having arguably his best season, making the All-Star team for the first time and hitting .301 with 18 homers and an .865 OPS in 105 games while seeing action at first base, second base, and his usual right field. It’s hard to imagine him not being able to get $16 million as a free agent and considering the Twins’ unabashed love of Cuddyer it’s also hard to imagine them not increasing the offer if other teams are involved.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)