Aug 5, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Reports surfaced last night about Cardinals teammates Yadier Molina and Gerald Laird getting into an “ugly” fight over an undisclosed issue, but everyone involved has now downplayed the incident that Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch calls an “animated argument.”
According to Hummel, manager Tony La Russa held a closed-door clubhouse meeting yesterday to address, among other things, the Molina-Laird situation, which occurred at the team hotel after the Cardinals arrived in Florida late Wednesday night.
Albert Pujols reportedly intervened, no punches were thrown, and La Russa told Hummel that “they hugged each other” afterward. Or as Laird put it:
It was just a disagreement. Long day. It’s a long year. When you spend a lot of time with these guys, obviously you’re going to have disagreements. Two guys disagreeing about something and that’s about it. We’re friends. We get along real well.
Still no word on what that “something” could have been, although my hope is that it all started when Laird accused Yadier of being the slowest Molina brother.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)