Aug 5, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Reports surfaced last night about Cardinals teammates Yadier Molina and Gerald Laird getting into an “ugly” fight over an undisclosed issue, but everyone involved has now downplayed the incident that Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch calls an “animated argument.”
According to Hummel, manager Tony La Russa held a closed-door clubhouse meeting yesterday to address, among other things, the Molina-Laird situation, which occurred at the team hotel after the Cardinals arrived in Florida late Wednesday night.
Albert Pujols reportedly intervened, no punches were thrown, and La Russa told Hummel that “they hugged each other” afterward. Or as Laird put it:
It was just a disagreement. Long day. It’s a long year. When you spend a lot of time with these guys, obviously you’re going to have disagreements. Two guys disagreeing about something and that’s about it. We’re friends. We get along real well.
Still no word on what that “something” could have been, although my hope is that it all started when Laird accused Yadier of being the slowest Molina brother.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)