Astros demote struggling starter J.A. Happ to Triple-A

Aug 6, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT

Happ_J.A.

J.A. Happ apparently used up all his good luck with the Phillies.

Happ had a 14-5 record and 3.11 ERA in 217 career innings when Philadelphia traded him to Houston in the Roy Oswalt deal last July, but since then he’s 9-18 with a 5.32 ERA in 191 innings.

That includes an ugly 6.26 ERA and league-high 14 losses this season, but Happ won’t have a chance to go for 20 losses because the Astros have optioned him to Triple-A.

Happ was never as good as his win-loss record and ERA suggested in Philadelphia, sporting a mediocre strikeout rate and so-so control while getting outstanding support from the lineup and defense.

On the other hand, he also hasn’t been nearly as bad as his current record and ERA suggest. Ultimately he’s a fairly run-of-the-mill mid-rotation starter and will probably be back in Houston next month, with a full-time rotation spot all but reserved for 2012. After all, it’s not like the Astros have a ton of superior options.

1. crysisorigins - Aug 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I remember listening to Phllly sports radio and hearing fans call in and pleading for the Phillies not to trade Happ because he was doing so good. Look how that turned out.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I like Happ and wish him the best of luck. He was always a bit smoke and mirrors…with that ridiculous BA against with RISP and the yet unscouted high fastball.

3. spudchukar - Aug 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Any truth to the rumor that his nickname is “Mis”?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

You are full of clever ones today, aren’t you?

4. xmatt0926x - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I barely even bother trying to decide if a player is any good anymore since I know all the stat heads will eventually dispell any notion I had of what a player is really doing. That being said I never got the love for Happ when he was with the phillies. To me, when you have to keep asking how is he doing it then he probably isn’t doing anything that great. You can usually see what the best players are doing to make them stand out. Happ just seemed to be a middle of the road with decent control. This should also be a lesson for all the Vance Worley fanboys out there right now. Again, I wont go to deep since I’m not an advanced stat geek but his stuff looks good, not great. I don’t see the ace-in-waiting that some people are seeing. I would love to be proven wrong.

• Old Phaithful - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Yeah. I hear you. But he’s better than KK.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 7, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Did you mean Worley is better than KK? If so, I agree…..if you meant Happ, then I disagree.

• kellyb9 - Aug 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I disagree… I think KK could be one of the more under-rated arms in the Phillies organization. He’d be in most team’s rotations.

5. banksatdixie - Aug 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Is it just me, or does he look like Woody Harrelson in that picture?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3093)