Aug 6, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
Jones avoided the disabled list and made four appearances as a pinch-hitter, going 0-for-4 with a strikeout, but he’s playing third base and batting fifth against the Mets. Mark Bowman of MLB.com notes that 2005 was the last time Jones batted as low as fifth in the order. And that only lasted a week.
Martin Prado and Brooks Conrad shared time at third base in Jones’ absence, so tonight Prado shifts back to the outfield and the slumping Jason Heyward is a healthy scratch while Jose Constanza starts over him in right field.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)