Aug 6, 2011, 10:05 PM EST
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz is set to become a free agent at the end of the 2011 season.
He wants to remain in Boston, and the Red Sox are sure to consider re-signing him this winter.
But no negotiations have taken place yet between player and upper management, and that’s beginning to bother the 35-year-old veteran.
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston spoke about the matter Saturday with a “source close to” Ortiz:
“David is (too) proud and respectful to say how he feels in public, but the guy feels hurt, upset by the way that he is being ignored by the Red Sox,” said the unnamed source. “After all he’s done here and having a good season, he was at least hoping to be approached by the team to talk about his future.”
The Red Sox have no real reason to commit to Ortiz until they absolutely have to. What if he suffers a major injury this month? Or what if he bats .150 with a .400 OPS down the stretch? There are too many factors at play for the Boston front office to rush into multi-year — or even one-year — contract negotiations.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)