Aug 6, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT
Weaver threw nine shutout innings, striking out eight, walking one, and allowing zero extra-base hits. And he got a no-decision.
And then an inning later the Angels won 1-0 on a walk-off hit, giving the “win” to reliever Jordan Walden for his one scoreless inning of work.
It was actually the second time this season Weaver has thrown nine shutout innings and didn’t get a win and the fourth time he’s allowed zero or one run in seven or more innings and didn’t get a win. Coincidentally, the Angels rank 12th among AL teams in scoring and Weaver has gotten the league’s third-worst run support.
In related news, he has “only” 14 wins despite an MLB-best 1.78 ERA (and MLB-best 6.5 WAR, for the stat-heads in the crowd) and I’m already annoyed by the future articles that will be written touting Justin Verlander and CC Sabathia over Weaver for the Cy Young award on the basis of their slightly higher win totals. My hope is that Zack Greinke and Felix Hernandez winning the award in back-to-back seasons despite modest win totals has convinced enough of the voting base that an individual pitcher’s record is a secondary factor in determining how well he actually pitched, but I’m still skeptical.
Right now Weaver has thrown 177 innings with a 1.78 ERA. Verlander has thrown 181 innings with a 2.24 ERA. Sabathia has thrown 177 innings with a 2.55 ERA. Without knowing how much run support and bullpen support each pitcher has gotten–and those two factors have nothing to do with how well they’ve actually pitched–I certainly know which way I’d vote.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)