Aug 6, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT
Weaver threw nine shutout innings, striking out eight, walking one, and allowing zero extra-base hits. And he got a no-decision.
And then an inning later the Angels won 1-0 on a walk-off hit, giving the “win” to reliever Jordan Walden for his one scoreless inning of work.
It was actually the second time this season Weaver has thrown nine shutout innings and didn’t get a win and the fourth time he’s allowed zero or one run in seven or more innings and didn’t get a win. Coincidentally, the Angels rank 12th among AL teams in scoring and Weaver has gotten the league’s third-worst run support.
In related news, he has “only” 14 wins despite an MLB-best 1.78 ERA (and MLB-best 6.5 WAR, for the stat-heads in the crowd) and I’m already annoyed by the future articles that will be written touting Justin Verlander and CC Sabathia over Weaver for the Cy Young award on the basis of their slightly higher win totals. My hope is that Zack Greinke and Felix Hernandez winning the award in back-to-back seasons despite modest win totals has convinced enough of the voting base that an individual pitcher’s record is a secondary factor in determining how well he actually pitched, but I’m still skeptical.
Right now Weaver has thrown 177 innings with a 1.78 ERA. Verlander has thrown 181 innings with a 2.24 ERA. Sabathia has thrown 177 innings with a 2.55 ERA. Without knowing how much run support and bullpen support each pitcher has gotten–and those two factors have nothing to do with how well they’ve actually pitched–I certainly know which way I’d vote.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)