Aug 6, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
From the “Why Would I Make This Up?” department, here’s this.
You may be familiar with the phrase, “That’s the Way Baseball Go.” It was uttered by Rangers manager Ron Washington last season and became something of a rallying cry for the team during their first-ever World Series run. Well, now it is forever immortalized in song.
That’s right, the Rangers unveiled a song before last night’s game called “That’s the Way Baseball Go,” performed by Merle Haggard. It is a play on Haggard’s 1983 hit “That’s the Way Love Goes.”
Here is the press release from the team:
That’s the Way Baseball Go, a new song dedicated to Rangers Manager Ron Washington, was introduced before Friday’s game at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.
The song is a modification of the 1983 Merle Haggard Grammy Award-winning #1 hit That’s the Way Love Goes and was the idea of Texas Rangers Co-Chairman Bob R. Simpson. Mr. Simpson and his wife, Janice with the assistance of Jim Hodges and Jackson Yandell of Fort Worth, wrote the lyrics to That’s the Way Baseball Go. The song was recorded by Merle Haggard last month at his ranch in Redding, CA.
Mr. and Mrs. Simpson, who have been working on this project for the last several months, have provided all of the funding for the production ofThat’s the Way Baseball Go and undertook the project as a tribute to Ron Washington and all Rangers fans.
That’s the Way Baseball Go will be available for download in the near future. The Simpsons’ share of the proceeds from the downloads will go to the Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation. Information can also be found on texasrangers.com/foundation.
The song, which is 2:59 in length, was introduced on the Rangers video boards prior to Friday’s game. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson also presented Washington with a framed copy of the original lyrics during a pre-game ceremony.
I haven’t listened to the song yet, but I imagine it is deliciously awkward. Haggard, though? That’s pretty cool. Any other interesting manager-songwriter combos you guys can come up with? I hear Tony La Russa can’t get enough Lady Gaga.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 7
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)