Aug 6, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
From the “Why Would I Make This Up?” department, here’s this.
You may be familiar with the phrase, “That’s the Way Baseball Go.” It was uttered by Rangers manager Ron Washington last season and became something of a rallying cry for the team during their first-ever World Series run. Well, now it is forever immortalized in song.
That’s right, the Rangers unveiled a song before last night’s game called “That’s the Way Baseball Go,” performed by Merle Haggard. It is a play on Haggard’s 1983 hit “That’s the Way Love Goes.”
Here is the press release from the team:
That’s the Way Baseball Go, a new song dedicated to Rangers Manager Ron Washington, was introduced before Friday’s game at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.
The song is a modification of the 1983 Merle Haggard Grammy Award-winning #1 hit That’s the Way Love Goes and was the idea of Texas Rangers Co-Chairman Bob R. Simpson. Mr. Simpson and his wife, Janice with the assistance of Jim Hodges and Jackson Yandell of Fort Worth, wrote the lyrics to That’s the Way Baseball Go. The song was recorded by Merle Haggard last month at his ranch in Redding, CA.
Mr. and Mrs. Simpson, who have been working on this project for the last several months, have provided all of the funding for the production ofThat’s the Way Baseball Go and undertook the project as a tribute to Ron Washington and all Rangers fans.
That’s the Way Baseball Go will be available for download in the near future. The Simpsons’ share of the proceeds from the downloads will go to the Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation. Information can also be found on texasrangers.com/foundation.
The song, which is 2:59 in length, was introduced on the Rangers video boards prior to Friday’s game. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson also presented Washington with a framed copy of the original lyrics during a pre-game ceremony.
I haven’t listened to the song yet, but I imagine it is deliciously awkward. Haggard, though? That’s pretty cool. Any other interesting manager-songwriter combos you guys can come up with? I hear Tony La Russa can’t get enough Lady Gaga.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)