Aug 6, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
The Yankees topped the Red Sox 3-2 last night, giving them their eighth straight victory and sole possession of first place in the American League East for the first time since July 7. That’s like an eternity in “Yankee years,” by the way.
The game really turned when Joe Girardi pulled Bartolo Colon with the bases loaded and two outs in the fifth inning. Boone Logan was able to get Adrian Gonzalez to strike out on a check-swing to end the inning, setting up a decisive three-run rally by the Yankees in the top of the sixth. Logan, Cory Wade, Rafael Soriano, David Robertson and Mariano Rivera combined for 4 1/3 scoreless innings of relief in the victory.
Naturally, most of the country will see the Yankees and Red Sox later today on FOX and this will be the matchup on Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. And we all know why. Still, it’s a little tough to get excited about this series when the eventual loser of the division is a virtual shoo-in to make the playoffs.
Your Friday box scores:
Indians 7, Rangers 8 (11 innings)
Tigers 4, Royals 3 (10 innings)
Mariners 0, Angels 1 (10 innings)
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)