The Phillies and Giants had themselves a benches-clearing brawl

Aug 6, 2011, 12:52 AM EST

Phillies Giants Baseball

Who needs the Red Sox and Yankees?

We just witnessed a benches-clearing brawl in the sixth inning of tonight’s game between the Phillies and Giants. Check out the video footage here.

It all started when Shane Victorino was hit in the back by a pitch from Giants right-hander Ramon Ramirez. Victorino began to gesture and walk toward the mound, but he was quickly intercepted by home plate umpire Mike Muchlinski. By this time, both dugouts and bullpens had emptied and were running toward the field. However, the brawl didn’t really begin in earnest until Eli Whiteside attempted to tackle Placido Polanco, who came running in from first base.

There was all sorts of pushing and shoving and mini-wrestling matches going on, but just when it looked like things were about to calm down, Victorino escaped from Phillies hitting coach Greg Gross and tackled Giants hitting coach Hensley “Bam-Bam” Meulens. Huh? He had it coming, apparently.

Victorino, Ramirez and Whiteside were all given the boot and we’ll likely see numerous fines and suspensions once MLB reviews the footage of the incident.

All in all, I give this this skirmish an eight out of 10 for pure entertainment. Whiteside’s tackling skills? Maybe good enough to make the 49ers.

161 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. thericklly - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I think the reason why things escalated so quickly was because it seemed like whiteside was trying to do something else when he quickly grasped Polly while on his knees. We can’t be seeing things like that during a baseball game, sicko.

2. mack408 - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

its funny how Giants fans at the game think they’re better then the PHILLIES ..you play in a crap DIVISION 1st off and your only a HALF a game in 1st !! granted you are reigning Champs for another 75 days maybe ?? Phillies have consistantly great for the past 5yrs ..put the Giants in the east & there in 3rd place, no P.O no nothing !! i was at thurs n fridays game & the ONLY come back comment Giants fans had was who won the W.S ?? well we won it in 08 & bout to win it this yr AGAIN !! glad y’all took Beltran and we grabbed Pence (HR’s past 2games in SF) !! and for the fight last nyt Whiteside, your trash get yourself a bottle of 5min no grey hair-dye !! yeeeeee

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

You check their record outside the division there chappy?

Get your facts straight and we’ll have an educated discussion.

And don’t get emotional, even though they act like it, the Phills aren’t your baby sisters.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, that 24-29 record against National Leagues teams not in the West is something to be proud of.

• mack408 - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Giants vs nl east 0-3 vs Braves & Marlins, 2-3 vs PHILLIES, 3-4 vs Nats, 4-2 vs Mets lmao …yea get YOUR FACTS straight chappy !! only team your up on is Mets ..garbage !!

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

So, are you arguing the brute strength of the NL East? Lulz.

The Phills are in a crap division themselves. And even the Phills record is by far and away the best in the NL, and their pitching is better than the Giants thus far, they have done nothing until they have won the world series.

The past dictates that the season’s golden boy has much work to do. The Marlins, Rockies and Giants have had good fun proving so.

The question is, can Cliff Lee meditate his way to two post season losses against the Giants in red pinstriped uni?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I think he is simply stating the facts for this season. He is stating those facts because you made an erroneous statement above.

• timasahh - Aug 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Outside the division:

Giants: 24-29
        Phillies: 35-17

Giants v NL East: 9-15
        Phillies v NL West: 17-7

Are my facts straight enough?

3. leftywildcat - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

If the suspensions do not include Bouchy and Sandoval, then Joe Torre isn’t doing his job, and this kind of thing will continue to happen too frequently.

Sanchez’s suspension ought to include the intended trip at 1st base.

4. jblah - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM

look, it doesn’t matter what the situation is. no baseball team should every intentionally try to throw at a batter. what if that baseball was further up? it could have broken a rib. What if that baseball was a little lower? it could have done serious damage to his knee? What if that baseball was a little more in? it could have broken something in his hips. The point is simple, YOU DO NOT THROW AT A BATTER ON PURPOSE and that is exactly what happened here. There was no call for it. the phills didn’t do anything but play ball the whole game. people need to be professionals. They are definitely being paid as such. if you can’t control yourself while you are getting a few million dollars, then perhaps you do not need to be making a few million.

5. Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Philly fans are so concerned about Palonco’s knees because they spend a sizable portion of life on their knees themselves, and understand their importance.

Fact is, the Phillies couldn’t make it through SF last season. And they still haven’t this season.

Let’s revisit this in October.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Clever Marty….did it take you all night to think of that. Funny, that Philadelphia fans get the bad rap but they are the ones on here at least having a reasonable discussion. Most of the other Giants fans are also involved in the discussion but this clown has to resort to homophobic references. Well done.

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Who said I was talking about the Phills male fans?

Review this thread for the ‘Whiteside must be gay’ innuendos – that is if you’d like to continue this drive by gay rights crusade you’ve decided to take up.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM

The implication was there on your post….don’t try to say it wasn’t. And yes, homophobic, racist, sexist, antisemitic, etc. things don’t sit well with me.

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Well, considering your sensitivity threshold for such issues, it’s no surprise you’re a Philly fan.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Because I don’t support bigotry in any way, shape or form? Your comments are perplexing and are making you look ignorant.

• clydeserra - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM

you are having a reasonable discussion, others, not so much

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

No, drmonkey. Because people like you you thrive on manufacturing items to be offended over. Perfect mindset for Philly.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM

You know if being offended by those things makes me uniquely “Philly” then I am doubly proud to hail from the tri-county region this afternoon. You made a homophobic reference…don’t say you didn’t. It is in black and white a few responses above.

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM

drmonekey, a knock on masculinity is not an inference of being gay, except to an individual who associates the two. In which case you should reassess your own perceptions regarding homosexuals

The very fact that you have no inclination to take issue with the Whiteside is gay innuendoes is proof enough of your motivation and manufactured sensitivity. You’re a fake, a card puller, a weasel. A perfect match for a Philly fan.

So, the statement is perceived as homophobic only by a pestilent crybaby motivated by his knee dwelling emotional loyalty to a baseball team.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM

What in the hell are you talking about? Honestly, what you said makes little to no sense and is really just drivel will a bunch of name calling. You were using homophobic innuendo to insult Phillies fans. You meant it in a derogatory fashion and are now trying to back track. Where is the Whiteside is gay innuendo? I certainly didn’t make it and wouldn’t care if he was.

• clydeserra - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Marty, you made a bad joke, its only reasonable interpretation is that it is a gay slur. Just say, yeah, it was bad, won’t do it again.

• prionogenic - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Hey Mary, last I checked Giants lost 7 of the last 8 and are only 0.5 ahead in their division–don’t be so sure about October baseball in SF

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:43 PM

They should make a movie about your fierce advocacy for gay rights.

I suppose there’s a different experience in knowing what is actually offensive to gay men by living a lifetime in San Francisco verses a lifetime of spectatorship, as in monkey’s case.

I stand by my comment. Philly fans with their panties in a bunch over last night’s event should procure knee pads.

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM

…above directed at drmonkey

• clydeserra - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

panties? so, its ok to emasculate by saying the Phillies fans are like women?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Be careful the comments you make without actually knowing somebody and their personal and familial histories. Think and say whatever you want, your comment was meant to be derogatory and was offensive. You made a clownish statement and are now trying to justify it. You can insult me and call me all the names you want, I really don’t care.

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 2:29 PM

You sure seem to care, drmonkey.

To bad I wasn’t around last week to debate the merits of the statement “your boy” being racist. I bet you’d acquire carpal tunnel arguing in favor of that one.

Have a good evening. God forbid Utley gets a splinter, as to only avoid your crusade against wood.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Once again, know idea what you are talking about. Problems putting together cogent thoughts?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 3:33 PM

no not know….once again, edit function?

• modogg42 - Aug 10, 2011 at 11:37 PM

i’m a definite phils fan, but i do have to say Marty had a good one there. Touche my man

6. thericklly - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I love how in any sports related argument, including this one, there is always a reference to past accomplishments( all you Giants fans posting about your title last year). That’s fine. You deserved it, great job. If you want, take out the highlight DVDs and base the rest of your life on past accomplishments. Current events is what I watch sports for and currently the phils are on a ridiculous tear, have the best record in baseball and are heading in a completely opposite direction than the giants and the CURRENT time. So if all those highlights console you for teams CURRENT lack of success then by all means do what you have to do. I however will continue to enjoy what my team is doing right now and turn the game on later.

• Marty - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I like current events too. Like taking 2 of 3 in July at Philly.

Let’s talk Monday for the absolute latest if that helps.

• thericklly - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I get that and like I said it was well deserved. However, you being the defending champions and beating us in the NLCS seems like the overwhelming excuse and event that’s pointed to in response for the last two games. I get that there’s two more games left in this series. I get that you took two of three from us in July. I get that it’s early August. My point is that the last eight games and last two against the Giants, we’ve been on a tear. (Some bloggers) Using your World Championship last year as a response/excuse for poor play in the last two games is ridiculous.

Who knows what will happen today, tomorrow, next month etc. I’ll be watching that though and not our 08 highlights.

• timasahh - Aug 6, 2011 at 2:36 PM

What about losing the first two of a series in August and starting a brawl because you were losing?

• mcchef - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Just wondering if you chided Phillie fans for brining up 2008 on this thread? The past is important. And, technically, the Giants are defending World Champions. Current, not past.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I agree with you on this as well. I get tired of hearing the 2008 stuff. Us Phillies fans should be proud of that but it is not relevant to this discussion….although 2010 is not relevant to this discussion either. I’d like to keep the focus on the events that unfolded last night any the rest of the stuff is tangential to the tangent.

• mcchef - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

You know DR,
        I just have to say….. I, without any reason, used to believe Phillie fans were the worst in all of sports. I mean, I really thought they were idiots. It may be because thats how the media portrays them or just the way I wanted them to be. And, I guess some Phillie fans are idiots, as some fans from EVERY tema are going to be. However, the likes of you, biceps, Utleyshair, and the rest of you who post on this site on a consistant basis have completely changed the way I think of Phillie Phans. Coming from a Giants fan, I hope you guys dont bash the Giants and their fans due to this one bad incident. I have a growing respect for the Phils and their fans, and hope the feeling is mutual. If not, thats ok……. we will just have to make you into sore losers!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I have no ill will towards Giants fans. I’ve been to the stadium, the fans were great. My brother lives in Sonoma and makes frequent games. Most of the Giant players seem like decent guys and I have no problem with. There are a couple who I do not like, though….particularly J.Sanchez….but hey, there are players on every team I don’t really like. What happened last night doesn’t sit well with me, but I get the impression that it doesn’t sit well with many Giants fans as well.

• mcchef - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Dr,
        Sonoma huh? No sh*t?? I live in Santa Rosa and my wife works in Sonoma. Beautiful little town. Let me know if you come visit your bother sometime and I will buy you a beer.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Will do. I loved Sonoma when I visited. Had a real tranquil feel to it. I rented a house a short distance from the square and had a tremendous experience. I haven’t been out there since the wedding two years ago. He got married at the Gloria Ferrer Vineyard/Winery. Such a beautiful area. I’m retiring at 50 and moving out here.

• macjacmccoy - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM

7. citynative - Aug 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Same tired Philly claims… yawn.

Philly: The Giants championship was last year.
    Fact: They are the CURRENT defending champions
    Philly: If the Giants played in the East they would be in third.
    Fact: Heard the same stuff last year when the Giants beat the Braves and Phillies in the playoffs. Btw… the Braves were the tougher series.
    Philly: The Giants got lucky.
    Fact: The Phillies only won one title as well in 08. Did they get lucky?
    Philly: The Giants will never be able to win in Philadelphia.
    Fact: Giants are 4-2 in Philly the last two years.
    Philly: Giants will struggle against the 4 aces.
    Fact: Giants are 6-3 vs. Lee, Halladay, Hamels, and Oswalt if you include playoffs and this year.

Philly, you have a lot to be proud of… dont be this insecure.

This is boring…. im out!

• mack408 - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:42 PM

4-2 Phillies in this yrs series !! and Doc hasnt even pitched vs Giants yet !! and Lee & Hamels complete games looked pretty dominate in S.F !!

8. saturn1111 - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM

meh…

I’m a Phillies fan and I have no problem acknowledging that they’re both very good teams. Sure, the Giants took 2 of three from the Phils in July, but the Phils are up 2-0 in this series. They’re too close to separate at the moment.

And who knows where both teams will be in October w/ regard to momentum, slumps, and injuries?

Enjoy the intensity of this series and look forward to a playoff matchup with plenty of “unfinished business” at hand.

The stage is set for a great October. The National League needs this kind of intense rivalry between two consistently good teams.

Great stuff.

9. philllsfan - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Sandoval and Ramirez should get the longest suspensions. Anyone thinking Sandoval was pulled away and not running away when he threw a left at Victorino as Victorino was on the ground needs to look at it again. Rowand didn’t pull him away. Plus, there is no way, with the way Rowand grabbed him AFTER he started running, that Sandoval would have budged. Rowand tugged at him after Pablo scampered away. Plain and simple. Look at the guys who wanted to get in the pile and then watch some other guys try and pull them away. In every instance it’s a struggle. Unless Pablo is now weighing in at no more than 125 lbs, Rowand had little to do with getting him away from the pile. More like all that estrogen was flowing thru Pablo’s veins. He pulled a punk move with the suckerpunch and to make matters worse he ran away afterwards. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t wear a sports bra, too. What a Mary.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I’m not sure about Sandoval. It looked to me like Rowand was grabbing at him just as he was throwing the punch. Then, pulled him back. It is irrelevant as far as the impending suspensions go, though.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM

The next two games will probably decide whether the Giants have any pride or whether they are about to enter the toilet. They had their asses handed to them two nights in a row and they have Cain and TIMMAY going the next two. Even a split isn’t enough. They have to win the next two games or else they have no pride. Marcellus Wallace is talking to them right now…you hear that, Giants…that’s pride f’in with you. You have to win with Cain today. He OWNS the Phillies. Then tomorrow, the little pothead pitches against a rusty Oswalt.

The Phillies will take a spilt, but the Giants can not. They need to win these two games.

• spudchukar - Aug 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM

My money is on “the little pothead”.

11. spudchukar - Aug 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Ryan Howard tried to land a haymaker, but of course, he swung and missed.

12. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Giants are TOAST!!!

13. halladaysbiceps - Aug 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM

It’s pretty quiet in here and the other Victorino thread. Where’s all the Giants fans that were shooting their mouths off? Still think you are as good as the Phillies this year?

• spudchukar - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Yeah, where do they get the cojones? They have no business airing their opinions here. This HBT, for Christ’s sake.

• mcchef - Aug 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Biceps,
      That was a fantastic pitching performance by both pitchers. Only 2 extra base hits all game, a double early by Rollins and a homer too late by Sandoval. Though, I am not sure why you are gloating so much after a 1 run game that was very competitive. Maybe its because the Phils are in a position to sweep tomorrow and they are tough to beat, but todays game along with the series in Philly should show you that the Phils arent gonna just walk away with a trophy. also, its probably quiet in here because people have alot going on on saturdays during the middle of the day. The game was on out here at 1pm and many people have family obligations and such so they cant be infront of their computers all day. But, being the proud Giants fan I am, I came back on here to take my beating like a man. Phils are crushin my Giants right now! Timmy vs Roy Boy should be another good one tomorrow.

14. flavordave - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Giants just got Hameled

15. macjacmccoy - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

yes they are defending champions of the 2010 season but that doesnt make then anymore likely to win then any other team this year. Once a new league year begins all that is over with. Its the 2011 season and no one is the champion of it until the final game is played Each teams rosters change so the team that won the WS last year doesnt exist anymore and the teams they beat in the NLDS NLCS and WS doesnt exist anymore either. They are both different teams now with different pieces that will decide who advances the furthest this season. That is why its pointless to look to a past seasons success, no matter how recent, as a reason why a team will succeed now..

• spudchukar - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Wow, Thanks for clearing that up.

16. loungefly74 - Aug 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM

here’s hoping the brawl sparks some life back into the Giants. Don’t want to miss our date with these Phillies in the fall.

17. nyyankeedave - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It’s gonna be fun watchin my Yanks or the Sox slaughter the Phils! There ain’t any “Aubrey Huffs” in our lineups!

18. phillyfanforever - Aug 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM

@nyyankeedave…….. I feel your frustration brother. To have to take the back seat in free agency. Players taking less money to play in front of the greatest fans in sports. Just not having that ability that was once there for New York to just go buy what you wanted.

Life just isn’t blissful like it once was. And you don’t even have the “Gints” to turn to this year without seeing Philadelphia ahead of them in the standings and visions of DeSean Jackson running wild in the swamps of Jersey. Get the “no Superbowl” and “27 World Series” out of your system now. We’re a few months closer to the New Yawkers not being able to use that same old tired line.

Things must be really bad for you guys right now. I mean lowering yourself to have to actually root for the Red Sox ?!?! It will be okay skippy. Just climb down off of the GW Bridge and try to enjoy the rest of your season. We’ll keep you in our thoughts in October. Like you said there “ain’t any Aubrey Huffs in your lineups.” There ain’t any Halladay, Lee, & Hamels in any one AL East rotation. But then again you know all about Cliff Lee. Just think…….when it’s convienent for you, you always have 15 other teams to root for in New York/North Jersey !!!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester