Aug 7, 2011, 10:35 PM EST
In a move that will lead to immediate speculation about top prospect Jesus Montero’s arrival in New York, manager Joe Girardi informed Jorge Posada prior to tonight’s game that he’ll no longer be the Yankees’ primary designated hitter.
Asked about the conversation, Posada revealed that Girardi “said he’s going to put the best lineup on the field and he doesn’t know when I’m going to DH again, so right now I’m sitting the bench.”
Posada has hit just .230 with a .681 OPS overall in the final season of a four-year, $52 million contract, including only two extra-base hits in 56 at-bats since the All-Star break. However, according to Girardi there are no plans to release Posada and if Chavez struggles it’s conceivable the Yankees could turn back to him at DH. Unless, of course, Montero gets the call up first.
Montero, who ranked third on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season, has hit .289 with 11 homers and a .789 OPS in 89 games at Triple-A. Those are incredibly impressive numbers for a 21-year-old at Triple-A, but don’t necessarily project to thriving in the majors quite yet.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (272)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)