Aug 7, 2011, 10:25 AM EST
The Mariners acquired 23-year-old outfield prospect Trayvon Robinson from the Dodgers in last month’s three-team, seven-player deadline deal that sent left-handed starter Erik Bedard to Boston.
Robinson found a much quicker path to the majors with Seattle, earning a promotion to the big leagues on Friday after playing just three games with the Mariners’ Triple-A affiliate in Tacoma, Washington.
The M’s haven’t committed to using Robinson on an everyday basis quite yet, but that could change soon.
The former 10th-round pick launched his first MLB home run in his second MLB game Saturday night against the Angels. He wasn’t aware that the ball had cleared the wall at first and had to be told by the second base umpire to keep on trotting his way to home plate. Robinson also had a base hit in his major league debut Friday evening.
And the success really isn’t all that surprising. Robinson posted a .293/.375/.563 slash line, 26 home runs, nine stolen bases and 71 RBI in 100 games with the Dodgers’ Triple-A club before last Sunday’s trade. It remains a mystery as to why the Los Angeles front office felt he needed to be dealt this summer.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)