Aug 7, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
The Mariners acquired 23-year-old outfield prospect Trayvon Robinson from the Dodgers in last month’s three-team, seven-player deadline deal that sent left-handed starter Erik Bedard to Boston.
Robinson found a much quicker path to the majors with Seattle, earning a promotion to the big leagues on Friday after playing just three games with the Mariners’ Triple-A affiliate in Tacoma, Washington.
The M’s haven’t committed to using Robinson on an everyday basis quite yet, but that could change soon.
The former 10th-round pick launched his first MLB home run in his second MLB game Saturday night against the Angels. He wasn’t aware that the ball had cleared the wall at first and had to be told by the second base umpire to keep on trotting his way to home plate. Robinson also had a base hit in his major league debut Friday evening.
And the success really isn’t all that surprising. Robinson posted a .293/.375/.563 slash line, 26 home runs, nine stolen bases and 71 RBI in 100 games with the Dodgers’ Triple-A club before last Sunday’s trade. It remains a mystery as to why the Los Angeles front office felt he needed to be dealt this summer.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead