Aug 8, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Chase Headley played the final eight innings of Saturday’s game with what turned out to be a fractured pinkie finger on his left hand, but he was out of the lineup yesterday and has now been placed on the disabled list.
Headley hasn’t hit for much power this season, but he was by far the Padres’ top hitter with a .292 batting average and .380 on-base percentage, posting a .787 OPS that’s 60 points higher than anyone else on the team with at least 150 plate appearances.
Logan Forsythe got the start at third base yesterday and the Padres may also use James Darnell some there after calling him up from Triple-A to fill Headley’s roster spot. San Diego ranked 14th among NL teams in scoring with Headley in the lineup, so things might get really ugly without him grinding out at-bats and getting on base at a .380 clip.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)