Aug 8, 2011, 4:58 PM EST
Chase Headley played the final eight innings of Saturday’s game with what turned out to be a fractured pinkie finger on his left hand, but he was out of the lineup yesterday and has now been placed on the disabled list.
Headley hasn’t hit for much power this season, but he was by far the Padres’ top hitter with a .292 batting average and .380 on-base percentage, posting a .787 OPS that’s 60 points higher than anyone else on the team with at least 150 plate appearances.
Logan Forsythe got the start at third base yesterday and the Padres may also use James Darnell some there after calling him up from Triple-A to fill Headley’s roster spot. San Diego ranked 14th among NL teams in scoring with Headley in the lineup, so things might get really ugly without him grinding out at-bats and getting on base at a .380 clip.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 64
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)