Aug 8, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Chase Headley played the final eight innings of Saturday’s game with what turned out to be a fractured pinkie finger on his left hand, but he was out of the lineup yesterday and has now been placed on the disabled list.
Headley hasn’t hit for much power this season, but he was by far the Padres’ top hitter with a .292 batting average and .380 on-base percentage, posting a .787 OPS that’s 60 points higher than anyone else on the team with at least 150 plate appearances.
Logan Forsythe got the start at third base yesterday and the Padres may also use James Darnell some there after calling him up from Triple-A to fill Headley’s roster spot. San Diego ranked 14th among NL teams in scoring with Headley in the lineup, so things might get really ugly without him grinding out at-bats and getting on base at a .380 clip.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 15
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 90
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (90)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4