Aug 8, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Chase Headley played the final eight innings of Saturday’s game with what turned out to be a fractured pinkie finger on his left hand, but he was out of the lineup yesterday and has now been placed on the disabled list.
Headley hasn’t hit for much power this season, but he was by far the Padres’ top hitter with a .292 batting average and .380 on-base percentage, posting a .787 OPS that’s 60 points higher than anyone else on the team with at least 150 plate appearances.
Logan Forsythe got the start at third base yesterday and the Padres may also use James Darnell some there after calling him up from Triple-A to fill Headley’s roster spot. San Diego ranked 14th among NL teams in scoring with Headley in the lineup, so things might get really ugly without him grinding out at-bats and getting on base at a .380 clip.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)