Aug 8, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Chase Headley played the final eight innings of Saturday’s game with what turned out to be a fractured pinkie finger on his left hand, but he was out of the lineup yesterday and has now been placed on the disabled list.
Headley hasn’t hit for much power this season, but he was by far the Padres’ top hitter with a .292 batting average and .380 on-base percentage, posting a .787 OPS that’s 60 points higher than anyone else on the team with at least 150 plate appearances.
Logan Forsythe got the start at third base yesterday and the Padres may also use James Darnell some there after calling him up from Triple-A to fill Headley’s roster spot. San Diego ranked 14th among NL teams in scoring with Headley in the lineup, so things might get really ugly without him grinding out at-bats and getting on base at a .380 clip.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)