Aug 8, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Giants manager Bruce Bochy hasn’t used chewing tobacco since April 14, when a session with hypnotherapist Dr. AlVera Paxson apparently cured him of the longtime habit, according to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press.
Bochy visited Paxson after bullpen catcher Bill Hayes and equipment manager Mike Murphy stopped dipping following sessions of their own. Hayes hasn’t dipped since January and Murphy has gone two years without. Total cost: $300.
All of which is interesting and impressive, but I’ll wait to form my opinion on hypnotherapy until Paxson takes a crack at fixing the Giants’ offense. Getting middle-aged men to kick a decades-long habit cold turkey is one thing, but getting Aubrey Huff to start hitting again is the real challenge.
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 3
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 31
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 56
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 40
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (108)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings