Aug 8, 2011, 3:35 PM EST
Giants manager Bruce Bochy hasn’t used chewing tobacco since April 14, when a session with hypnotherapist Dr. AlVera Paxson apparently cured him of the longtime habit, according to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press.
Bochy visited Paxson after bullpen catcher Bill Hayes and equipment manager Mike Murphy stopped dipping following sessions of their own. Hayes hasn’t dipped since January and Murphy has gone two years without. Total cost: $300.
All of which is interesting and impressive, but I’ll wait to form my opinion on hypnotherapy until Paxson takes a crack at fixing the Giants’ offense. Getting middle-aged men to kick a decades-long habit cold turkey is one thing, but getting Aubrey Huff to start hitting again is the real challenge.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)