Giants manager Bruce Bochy and coaching staff went to hypnotherapist to stop dipping

Aug 8, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT

no dipping

Giants manager Bruce Bochy hasn’t used chewing tobacco since April 14, when a session with hypnotherapist Dr. AlVera Paxson apparently cured him of the longtime habit, according to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press.

Bochy visited Paxson after bullpen catcher Bill Hayes and equipment manager Mike Murphy stopped dipping following sessions of their own. Hayes hasn’t dipped since January and Murphy has gone two years without. Total cost: $300.

All of which is interesting and impressive, but I’ll wait to form my opinion on hypnotherapy until Paxson takes a crack at fixing the Giants’ offense. Getting middle-aged men to kick a decades-long habit cold turkey is one thing, but getting Aubrey Huff to start hitting again is the real challenge.

1. mvp43 - Aug 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Maybe his melon will shrink to a normal size now…

2. Glenn - Aug 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I quit chewing tobacco using this really cool therapy called placebo. That and the titanium necklace did the trick.

3. trigzter - Aug 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM

might as well bust out the tarot cards too

4. Clinton Manitoba - Aug 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM

How about another session for the team, ownership and its entire fanbase so they can finally understand that if a catcher blocks home plate with a runner coming in from third, he may get bowled over and it’s perfectly fair.

• gypsygiants - Aug 8, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Posey wasn’t blocking the plate Clinton. Cousins had a clear lane and veered out of the base path to hit Posey. Next time try getting your facts straight before talking smack about another teams fanbase.

• mox19380 - Aug 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM

this again really? Your catcher got busted up in a fair play. He didn’t have his legs in the right position so what might have been at worst a concussion ended up being much worse. Get OVER IT!!

Mike Socia (sp?) a true catchers catcher has repeated that the play was fair…what more do you want?

5. hittfamily - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I don’t know anything about hypnotism. Is it one of those “supernatural” rip offs like dowsing, psychic investigators, homeopathy, and astrology. Does it have any measurable benefits? I am a skeptic—non believer on all things supernatural, so I’m curious as to others opinions on this.

6. harry groome - Aug 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM

i dipped for 20 years, went to a hypnotist one time (actually in SF) and have not dipped in 15 years.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM

God i love the smell of fresh Skoal in the morning! Good stuff

8. tardpalin - Aug 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Nicotine is THE most addictive DRUG known to man.
    13 years ago we began selling Redman to Righetti from my cigar store in San Jose.
    Cases of the stuff for the staff.
    Don’t think this type of addiction is any different than cigs or cigars.
    VERY hard to stop without some form of help.

• cliffleesbeard - Aug 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Unfortunetly, you hit the nail on the head. I can’t wake up in the morning with out packing a fresh lip. I went 2 weeks without it, tops. VERY hard indeed. I’m actually dipping as I type this now, which isn’t something to be proud of.

9. newagerocker - Aug 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM

What is he going to use to stop being an A-Hole?

• mox19380 - Aug 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM

my sentiments exactly.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2861)