Aug 8, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: Reyes has been placed on the disabled list.
No official word from the Mets yet on Jose Reyes‘ hamstring injury, but general manager Sandy Alderson just said during a radio interview with WFAN in New York that the shortstop is “very likely” to miss 2-3 weeks.
Reyes spent two weeks on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring last month and aggravated the same injury yesterday, leaving in the second inning.
Justin Turner moved from second base to shortstop yesterday, with Willie Harris coming into the game at second base, but the Mets have recalled Ruben Tejada from Triple-A to give them some middle infield depth in Reyes’ absence.
It’s hard to imagine relatively minor hamstring problems really hurting Reyes’ stock much as he heads to free agency, but he’ll likely end up missing at least 30 games this season after sitting out 29 games last year and 126 games in 2009. Even if he comes back in just two weeks and stays healthy for the stretch run Reyes will have played in 301 of 486 games since the start of 2009.
Of course, he’s also a 28-year-old shortstop with a good glove, excellent speed, and an .884 OPS, so tweaked hamstring or not teams will be lining up to sign him for huge money in a few months.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)