Aug 8, 2011, 2:33 PM EST
UPDATE: Reyes has been placed on the disabled list.
No official word from the Mets yet on Jose Reyes‘ hamstring injury, but general manager Sandy Alderson just said during a radio interview with WFAN in New York that the shortstop is “very likely” to miss 2-3 weeks.
Reyes spent two weeks on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring last month and aggravated the same injury yesterday, leaving in the second inning.
Justin Turner moved from second base to shortstop yesterday, with Willie Harris coming into the game at second base, but the Mets have recalled Ruben Tejada from Triple-A to give them some middle infield depth in Reyes’ absence.
It’s hard to imagine relatively minor hamstring problems really hurting Reyes’ stock much as he heads to free agency, but he’ll likely end up missing at least 30 games this season after sitting out 29 games last year and 126 games in 2009. Even if he comes back in just two weeks and stays healthy for the stretch run Reyes will have played in 301 of 486 games since the start of 2009.
Of course, he’s also a 28-year-old shortstop with a good glove, excellent speed, and an .884 OPS, so tweaked hamstring or not teams will be lining up to sign him for huge money in a few months.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)