Aug 8, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: Reyes has been placed on the disabled list.
No official word from the Mets yet on Jose Reyes‘ hamstring injury, but general manager Sandy Alderson just said during a radio interview with WFAN in New York that the shortstop is “very likely” to miss 2-3 weeks.
Reyes spent two weeks on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring last month and aggravated the same injury yesterday, leaving in the second inning.
Justin Turner moved from second base to shortstop yesterday, with Willie Harris coming into the game at second base, but the Mets have recalled Ruben Tejada from Triple-A to give them some middle infield depth in Reyes’ absence.
It’s hard to imagine relatively minor hamstring problems really hurting Reyes’ stock much as he heads to free agency, but he’ll likely end up missing at least 30 games this season after sitting out 29 games last year and 126 games in 2009. Even if he comes back in just two weeks and stays healthy for the stretch run Reyes will have played in 301 of 486 games since the start of 2009.
Of course, he’s also a 28-year-old shortstop with a good glove, excellent speed, and an .884 OPS, so tweaked hamstring or not teams will be lining up to sign him for huge money in a few months.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)