Aug 8, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: Reyes has been placed on the disabled list.
No official word from the Mets yet on Jose Reyes‘ hamstring injury, but general manager Sandy Alderson just said during a radio interview with WFAN in New York that the shortstop is “very likely” to miss 2-3 weeks.
Reyes spent two weeks on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring last month and aggravated the same injury yesterday, leaving in the second inning.
Justin Turner moved from second base to shortstop yesterday, with Willie Harris coming into the game at second base, but the Mets have recalled Ruben Tejada from Triple-A to give them some middle infield depth in Reyes’ absence.
It’s hard to imagine relatively minor hamstring problems really hurting Reyes’ stock much as he heads to free agency, but he’ll likely end up missing at least 30 games this season after sitting out 29 games last year and 126 games in 2009. Even if he comes back in just two weeks and stays healthy for the stretch run Reyes will have played in 301 of 486 games since the start of 2009.
Of course, he’s also a 28-year-old shortstop with a good glove, excellent speed, and an .884 OPS, so tweaked hamstring or not teams will be lining up to sign him for huge money in a few months.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)