Aug 8, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: Reyes has been placed on the disabled list.
No official word from the Mets yet on Jose Reyes‘ hamstring injury, but general manager Sandy Alderson just said during a radio interview with WFAN in New York that the shortstop is “very likely” to miss 2-3 weeks.
Reyes spent two weeks on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring last month and aggravated the same injury yesterday, leaving in the second inning.
Justin Turner moved from second base to shortstop yesterday, with Willie Harris coming into the game at second base, but the Mets have recalled Ruben Tejada from Triple-A to give them some middle infield depth in Reyes’ absence.
It’s hard to imagine relatively minor hamstring problems really hurting Reyes’ stock much as he heads to free agency, but he’ll likely end up missing at least 30 games this season after sitting out 29 games last year and 126 games in 2009. Even if he comes back in just two weeks and stays healthy for the stretch run Reyes will have played in 301 of 486 games since the start of 2009.
Of course, he’s also a 28-year-old shortstop with a good glove, excellent speed, and an .884 OPS, so tweaked hamstring or not teams will be lining up to sign him for huge money in a few months.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)