Aug 8, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
Phil Hughes took the loss in relief last night against the Red Sox, giving up a run in the 10th inning after manager Joe Girardi opted not to leave Mariano Rivera in the game with a pitch count of nine.
Hughes threw only 13 pitches and said afterward that he’d be ready to make his scheduled start Tuesday, but Girardi announced that he’ll be skipped in the rotation instead.
That means either A.J. Burnett or Ivan Nova will start in his place versus the Angels despite Hughes throwing six shutout innings in his last start and six innings of two-run ball in the outing before that.
He was clearly disappointed by Girardi’s decision, telling Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York:
It is always disappointing when you are not able to start. I thought I made some good progress in my last start, so if I have to wait around that won’t be something that is fun to deal with. But, again, I don’t really make these calls or something like that.
It’s certainly a questionable move by Girardi, particularly since Hughes threw just 65 pitches in his start last week and seemingly had a chance to build some momentum heading into the stretch run. He’ll presumably stay in the rotation after the one skipped start, but the Yankees haven’t said when his next turn would be.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)