Aug 8, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
Phil Hughes took the loss in relief last night against the Red Sox, giving up a run in the 10th inning after manager Joe Girardi opted not to leave Mariano Rivera in the game with a pitch count of nine.
Hughes threw only 13 pitches and said afterward that he’d be ready to make his scheduled start Tuesday, but Girardi announced that he’ll be skipped in the rotation instead.
That means either A.J. Burnett or Ivan Nova will start in his place versus the Angels despite Hughes throwing six shutout innings in his last start and six innings of two-run ball in the outing before that.
He was clearly disappointed by Girardi’s decision, telling Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York:
It is always disappointing when you are not able to start. I thought I made some good progress in my last start, so if I have to wait around that won’t be something that is fun to deal with. But, again, I don’t really make these calls or something like that.
It’s certainly a questionable move by Girardi, particularly since Hughes threw just 65 pitches in his start last week and seemingly had a chance to build some momentum heading into the stretch run. He’ll presumably stay in the rotation after the one skipped start, but the Yankees haven’t said when his next turn would be.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)