Phil Hughes will be skipped in Yankees’ rotation after last night’s relief loss

Aug 8, 2011, 9:52 AM EST

Phil Hughes AP

Phil Hughes took the loss in relief last night against the Red Sox, giving up a run in the 10th inning after manager Joe Girardi opted not to leave Mariano Rivera in the game with a pitch count of nine.

Hughes threw only 13 pitches and said afterward that he’d be ready to make his scheduled start Tuesday, but Girardi announced that he’ll be skipped in the rotation instead.

That means either A.J. Burnett or Ivan Nova will start in his place versus the Angels despite Hughes throwing six shutout innings in his last start and six innings of two-run ball in the outing before that.

He was clearly disappointed by Girardi’s decision, telling Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York:

It is always disappointing when you are not able to start. I thought I made some good progress in my last start, so if I have to wait around that won’t be something that is fun to deal with. But, again, I don’t really make these calls or something like that.

It’s certainly a questionable move by Girardi, particularly since Hughes threw just 65 pitches in his start last week and seemingly had a chance to build some momentum heading into the stretch run. He’ll presumably stay in the rotation after the one skipped start, but the Yankees haven’t said when his next turn would be.

1. deathmonkey41 - Aug 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I don’t really understand this. Girardi leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

• 18thstreet - Aug 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Here’s the explanation: he’s a bad manager. I hope this clears up the confusion.

2. nypricks - Aug 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Terrible. AJ pitches like garbage and Hughes last performance is rewarded with this? They even ask him to get to the pen and toss an inning completely off his schedule…Terrible.

3. yankeesgameday - Aug 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM

This whole thing makes no sense. Last week I literally wrote “if Hughes can’t get outs as a starter, the last thing I want is to see him pitch in relief in a tie game against Boston.” How is Joe Giradi not smarter than I am regarding his own pitchers and what makes a good baseball decision?

Hughes is either a starter who gives you 5-6 innings and 3 runs or you bench him. Six weeks left, division title and home field through the alcs is on the line with every game now. There is no time to “see what your pitchers can give you.” You know who they are and what’s going to happen. Now go out and play every game, every inning and every out like the pennant hangs on the outcome… Because I have news for you: it does.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I’m sure at least on some level Girardi does know what his pitchers are. What is he going to say? “Both Hughesy and Burnetty are not very good pitchers, but we don’t have too many other options now and we are more or less stuck with these guys. Sorry fans.”

Forgive me for not being too impressed by Hughes latest run against 3 or the worst offenses in baseball.

5. bostonfan4eva - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Boo Hoo Yankee Ville. Do I sense a little concern? You should, the Red Sox own the Yankees this year no matter who you put on the mound. Take the Wild Card spot and be done with it.

6. willo3g - Aug 9, 2011 at 7:29 AM

People need to understand that Girardi is garbage. WHY? Here i go, example: When Doc Rivers (NBA) coach the Magics in 02-03 in 04 he got fired because he was garbage just like Girardi, when he agree to a contract with boston his stats as a coach when up not because of him, because he had a dreamteam. Why not do the same with the Magics? Its all about 80% players and 20% coach to achieve victory. The same happen with Girardi bad coach but star players.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4020)