Aug 8, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
The disciplinary fallout from the Phillies-Giants scuffle Friday night is pretty minor, with Shane Victorino receiving a three-game suspension and no other players from either team getting more than undisclosed fines.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Victorino will appeal his suspension, which stems from what MLB described as “aggressive actions that prolonged the bench-clearing incident between the clubs.”
Considering he made contact with an umpire and re-entered the scrum after being pulled away initially three games actually seems pretty light. Placido Polanco from the Phillies’ side and Ramon Ramirez and Eli Whiteside from the Giants’ side were fined, and at least in Ramirez’s case the lack of a suspension surprises me.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)