Aug 8, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
We might not see Placido Polanco back in the Phillies’ lineup for a while.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro announced earlier this evening that Polanco was diagnosed with a sports hernia.
Polanco was sent back to Philadelphia over the weekend after revealing that he had been dealing with discomfort in his left hip for about a month. The veteran infielder is scheduled to receive an injection tomorrow and will be reevaulated on Friday. He has not been placed on the disabled list.
The Phillies haven’t ruled out surgery as a possibility, but it would not be a season-ending scenario. David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that team doctors believe Polanco could recover within 3-4 weeks.
Polanco, 35, is hitting .275/.330/.342 with four home runs and 40 RBI over 383 plate appearances this season, but has a .223 batting average and .544 OPS since the start of May. With the Phillies well out in front in the National League East, they can afford to get by with the likes of Michael Martinez and Wilson Valdez at third base if it means Polanco will be healthy for the postseason.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)