Aug 8, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
We might not see Placido Polanco back in the Phillies’ lineup for a while.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro announced earlier this evening that Polanco was diagnosed with a sports hernia.
Polanco was sent back to Philadelphia over the weekend after revealing that he had been dealing with discomfort in his left hip for about a month. The veteran infielder is scheduled to receive an injection tomorrow and will be reevaulated on Friday. He has not been placed on the disabled list.
The Phillies haven’t ruled out surgery as a possibility, but it would not be a season-ending scenario. David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that team doctors believe Polanco could recover within 3-4 weeks.
Polanco, 35, is hitting .275/.330/.342 with four home runs and 40 RBI over 383 plate appearances this season, but has a .223 batting average and .544 OPS since the start of May. With the Phillies well out in front in the National League East, they can afford to get by with the likes of Michael Martinez and Wilson Valdez at third base if it means Polanco will be healthy for the postseason.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)