Aug 8, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Placido Polanco has played through several injuries this season with limited success, following up an excellent April by hitting just .223 with a .544 OPS in 63 games since.
And now he’s headed back to Philadelphia to undergo an MRI exam on his sore left hip, which Polanco revealed yesterday had been bothering him for about a month before finally causing him to leave Saturday’s game in the eighth inning.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it clear that Polanco did not suffer the hip injury from Eli Whiteside‘s quasi-tackle during the bench-clearing scuffle with the Giants, telling Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com: “Absolutely not. He said he’s had it for some time, but we were not made aware of it until now.”
Playing through pain is usually seen as a positive thing in the world of sports, often leading to praise being heaped on the injured players, but when their performance suffers while remaining in the lineup and/or keeping an injury secret that often gets brushed under the rug. Polanco has been a terrible hitter for going on four months now, so while noble his efforts to play through and even conceal injuries haven’t done the Phillies much good and could have him at less than full strength for the playoffs.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)