Aug 8, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Placido Polanco has played through several injuries this season with limited success, following up an excellent April by hitting just .223 with a .544 OPS in 63 games since.
And now he’s headed back to Philadelphia to undergo an MRI exam on his sore left hip, which Polanco revealed yesterday had been bothering him for about a month before finally causing him to leave Saturday’s game in the eighth inning.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it clear that Polanco did not suffer the hip injury from Eli Whiteside‘s quasi-tackle during the bench-clearing scuffle with the Giants, telling Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com: “Absolutely not. He said he’s had it for some time, but we were not made aware of it until now.”
Playing through pain is usually seen as a positive thing in the world of sports, often leading to praise being heaped on the injured players, but when their performance suffers while remaining in the lineup and/or keeping an injury secret that often gets brushed under the rug. Polanco has been a terrible hitter for going on four months now, so while noble his efforts to play through and even conceal injuries haven’t done the Phillies much good and could have him at less than full strength for the playoffs.
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 0
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M