Rangers fans are very supportive of Michael Young (and very angry at me)

Aug 8, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT

duty_calls

This morning I wrote a 157-word post about Michael Young reaching 2,000 career hits, saying the milestone “might be just a bit overrated” because he’s the 234th player to reach it and “no one really makes a big deal about” the 202 hitters with 250 homers or the 203 pitchers with 150 wins.

While writing the post it didn’t strike me as particularly inflammatory, as I focused on the 2,000-hit milestone rather than Young specifically. Just a little historical context about a round number being reached and no real criticisms to speak of.

Or so I thought.

Turns out, Rangers fans are very angry at me now. Here’s a sampling of some comments on Lone Star Ball, which is the Rangers blog on SBNation:

* Somebody’s gotta be the douchebag.

* Yep…going to go out of his way to hate

* What a completely worthless article.

* What a f***tard.

* Aaron who? Never heard of the guy.

* Stupid article.

* What a poorly conceived swipe.

* Tell Aaron to grab a bat and get busy since its no big deal.

* Don’t tell Aaron Gleeman, but this article is completely worthless and irrelevant.

* He and Calcaterra derive too much pleasure out of being contrarians and raining on parades. It’s like that’s the only joy they have in their lives.

* Idiot.

There’s a lot more where those come from, but you get the idea. I’d hate to see how mad Rangers fans get when someone writes something that actually criticizes Young and/or is more than four paragraphs.

I will say that the “Gleemans gonna gleem” comment cracked me up and most of their name-calling is right on the money. But only by coincidence. Also, I’m banning myself from any further meta-posts, unless someone else calls me a bad name. Which probably won’t ever happen again anyway.

Cartoon via xkcd.com.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I actually don’t think your “swipe” was poorly conceived. It was actually well thought out….if that makes you feel any better. I mean, I could see people being upset if you called Michael Young an over rated piece of dung who would cost his team more games with his astoundingly poor defense except is plays in a league that allows that joke of a DH.

• heyyousguys - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM

This Rangers fan thanks God every night before the game that the Rangers are able to hide Mike Young at DH.

2. hoopmatch - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM

As we used to say in the newspaper business: “If you’re not pissing somebody off, you’re not doing your job.”

• The Common Man - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM

There used to be a newspaper business?

3. Kanonen80 - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM

2,000 hits is to 3,000 as All-Star is to Hall of Famer.

2,000 hits means he’s a very good baseball player and I didn’t see your post as hating on Young as much.

4. Clinton Manitoba - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Glad you can laugh about it. There is a fan base for anything and everything out there. And they all get pissy when they feel the slightest negativity….regardless if it’s fact.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Is there any relevance to your link or are you just trying to be a dick?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM

So the link is gone now? My comment makes absolutely no sense in this context.

• Clinton Manitoba - Aug 8, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Yeah, that was some ole HBT censorship.. it was simply a statement that Philly fans are ugly and a link proving the fact… nothing hateful, racist or homophobic. boo.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 9, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I didn’t think it should be censored…..just irrelevant. Sorry if my comment led to it being taken down. That wasn’t my intent. Don’t call me boo, though. It is a little bit creepy.

5. Detroit Michael - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Your original post stated: “… in terms of the attention being given to the actual milestone 2,000 might be just a bit overrated.” That’s actually pretty tame. If anything, you can second guess yourself for not writing something a bit more pithy or punchy. If the Rangers’ (or any team’s) fanboys get huffy about that article, it wasn’t your fault. Keep on writing, Aaron!

• jtorrey13 - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I think the idea that “getting to 2,000″ is right on the money. We love even numbers. Do people that criticize the original post think the same of Michael Young when he is at 1,998 hits, 1,999 hits and 2,001 hits? Of course. Do all those points in his career mean just about the same thing? Yes: he is a very capable player that has great longevity and has contributed quite a few wins to the Texas Rangers ball club.

Think of it this way. When you turn 28, you have a birthday party. When you turn 29, you have a birthday party. When you turn 30, YOU HAVE A HUGE BIRTHDAY PARTY. When you turn 31, you have a birthday party. Is there really any difference between the ages? (Can you drink? Can you vote? Can you claim membership in AARP? Can you rent a car?)

Even more simply, if you turn 30, but your birthday is on a Tuesday, sometimes you’ll have your big party on he Saturday before to allow more drinking. You’re actually not 30, you’re 29 and 362/365, and you’ll even probably tell people that it isn’t your birthday on the celebration day. Still, is there really any difference in you between Saturday and Tuesday?

Or another way: 2,000 hits is 2/3 of 3,000 hits. 200 wins is 2/3 of 300 wins. (I have seen a bit on Tim Wakefield’s chase of this milestone, so it isn’t the hitters alone getting recognition for bright, shiny, even numbers.) 2/3 of 500 HRs is 333. Alfonso Soriano just reached that mark this year. Can anyone tell me in which game he did it?

(Detroit Michael – just wanted to get these analogies off my chest. A response to your post seemed like a good place to put it, and I will second the “keep on writing, Aaron.”)

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I think the point is that you said 234 players isn’t exclusive company, yet as I pointed out there are coincidentally that many players in the Hall of Fame (which qualifies as an exclusive club in most people’s mind). Perhaps you should’ve said it’s a notable accomplishment but doesn’t compare to 3000

• browniebuck - Aug 9, 2011 at 7:33 AM

and I would say that more than half of those 234 players in the Hall are pitchers and/or managers…so, while exclusive, it does nothing to support the argument that 2,000 hits is an exclusive club…hell, Orlando Cabrera made it to 2,000 this year. While 2,000 hits is a nice accomplishment, there really shouldn’t be a whole lot made of it as it has been done 234 times before the next person does it.

7. theadam - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM

As a Ranger fan, and Young apologist, I’ll make 2 points:

1. It’s not the # of guys who did get to 2k that makes it impressive, it’s the number who didn’t.
    2. The only people allowed to criticize Young in more or less than 4 paragraphs are Rangers fans, who have no problem over-looking his contributions time and time again.

• The Common Man - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Wait, so this means that no one other than Rangers fans can criticize Michael Young or are non-Rangers fans restricted to criticizing Michael Young only if they use exactly four paragraphs. Your rules are so confusing.

• theadam - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Only Rangers fans.

• b7p19 - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Thats actually a really funny response. If you’re going to be an unreasonable fan you may as well own it. Touche.

8. trevorb06 - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I thought the only blogs people in Texas read were written by guys with names such as Limbaugh and Beck. Hmmm, learned something new.
    #sarcasm

9. hansob - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM

So Michael Young gets his 2000th hit, and the VERY NEXT DAY the stock market drops 634 points. I’m just supposed to believe that’s a coincidence?

10. bjslights - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Relevant xkcd comic: http://xkcd.com/386/

• Senor Cardgage - Aug 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Relevant xkcd license: “This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. This means that you are free to copy and reuse any of my drawings (noncommercially) as long as you tell people where they’re from” (emphasis mine). I see no such attribution in the article proper. And he did a horrible job with the scaling.

11. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I think this article, along with the Young bashing that occurred here over the off season, gives the Rangers fans some fuel for their fire. Of course, maybe he deserved some bashing.

I actually read the post earlier today and thought, “gee, Young gets bashed on HBT more than most guys” so there’s some truth to the negative style of which the post was written in my opinion. You clearly are laughing at 2000 hits and also giving the sense that Young and the Rangers are making too big a deal of the milestone. I agree it is not a big milestone, but it isn’t laughable either. So you are all wrong, is what I’m sayin’…

• The Common Man - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I think your definition of “bashing” is pretty ridiculous. Aaron’s point was that the accomplishment is kind of overrated, based on the quality of players, and the number of players who get to that plateau. He said absolutely nothing about Young the player or the person.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I find it hard to believe the article would have been written with the same tone if it were about most other players. I mean c’mon, there’s not one positive piece of language in the article whatsoever for what is clearly a positive milestone he reached. It is also very true that HBT bashed Young during his free agency fiasco, which is NOT a stretch of the term whatsoever. Doesn’t mean HBT was wrong either, but the bashing occurred. In context, this piece today could be construed as a further bashing. That is why my first impression was exactly that, why else would it have been? I’ve got nothing against Young, but it’s clear this site has been critical of him for at least the last 8 months when his name comes up.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Read the original post, he’s not bashing Young but he sounds like he’s belittling the Rangers organization for celebrating what should at least be considered a notable accomplishment

• spudchukar - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Mr J., the off-season comments were indeed a factor in the grief leveled at Gleeman. As a Young admirer, I know I couldn’t help but remembering all the criticism he took during the “Hot Stove League”. And while 2000 hits itself doesn’t validate Young, his .868 OPS certainly does. In my book he is the MVP of DH’s at this point in the season, aided by his ability to sub at all three infield positions. Ask yourself, who would you bench in a World Series match-up in the NL park? Sit Young and play Chavez, or sit Ortiz and play Reddick? I say Ortiz rides the pine, and Young is stationed in left.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Ah, screw the DH…that’s my 2 pennies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• baccards - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

What is the bigger “bash” belittleing 2000 hits or MVP of DH’s

• spudchukar - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Well, Yeah, of course Screw the DH, but that just emboldens the argument for Young. If there were no DH, he would be manning LF, with the season he is having, and the rest would be riding the pine.

12. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM

So I reread the first article and if Aaron, Craig (upon return from vacayy) or anyone here can tell me this isn’t obviously negative in tone and thus bashing on Young for reaching a milestone that HBT feels isn’t a big deal, then I’ll eat my hat:

“Even reaching 2,000 hits by age 34 isn’t that rare, as Young became the 106th player to do so and if Beltre gets healthy within a few weeks he’ll probably become the 107th guy by the end of the season. Of that group, 27 have gotten to 3,000.”

NOTE: even the word “that” is italicized in the original.

Now, If you can define bashing, then perhaps I can define the word “rare”, b/c 106th player is pretty darn rare by definition, is it not? The Rangers fans have some fuel for their argument, that’s all I’m sayin’.

13. chadh88 - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Pujols hit number 2,000 last Sunday (7/30/11) and I don’t remember a post or anyone outside of local hacks making any deal about it. Granted, most people assume it is just one more stop on the way past 3,000 for him.

I guess having Nolan Ryan as the boss and failing miserably in a World Series makes Rangers fans think they are relevant.

14. heyyousguys - Aug 8, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I cannot believe I just jumped through all those hoops just to reply to this article. There are a couple of points I want to make, though. First, I think it’s pretty crappy for you not to credit xkcd for using their comic.

Secondly, the group of people whose comments you’re taking parts of and posting here? Well, Lone Star Ball is NOT exactly a haven for Mike Young apologists. He gets a lot of harsh criticism there for the very same thing you’re talking about: he’s considered “above criticism” by much of the local community and is a god to most casual fans. These groups of people were generally appalled that the team wanted to move him off of third base, while most of Lone Star Ball would have ran onto the field and taken the man’s glove away if they could get away with it. However, LSB does appreciate his hitting, especially this season.

The team congratulated Young for reaching 2000 hits. The local papers all wrote something about it. It is an achievement. In the long history of major league ball, only a little over 200 players have done it. So locally it was recognized but with what I think was the appropriate amount of fanfare. Young himself said it was “insignificant”, but I wouldn’t go that far. How many right handed batters have reached 2000 hits by age 34? It’s nothing worthy of nationwide notoriety but it shouldn’t be dismissed, either.

• b7p19 - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM

2000 hits is a good amount of hits. You have to be a pretty darn good hitter and useful player to last long enough to get to that milestone. I think we can all agree with those two points, even Aaron.

However, Juan Pierre (!) will soon be a member of this club, so that has to mean something. OK, that was just an excuse to slam Pierre. My point is “that guy doesn’t think 2,000 hits is as important as I do” is not a good reason to call him a f%&!tard. While thats a funny word, it seems a little over the top, no?

• heyyousguys - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I didn’t call the author any names. Pierre isn’t nearly the hitter Mike Young is. I think we can all agree on that. Young has power — not really HR power — but line-drive gap power. Pierre is just a singles hitter.

15. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I get the feeling Michael Young would be happy to never get a hit again if that meant he would never have to do those stupid “Claw & Antlers” hand signs ever again. Guys like Andrus seem to revel in it, but some guys like Young and Hamilton seems like they are being forced completely against their will and dignity.

• b7p19 - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Does anyone even know what this means? Last season Tejada showed up on the Padres and all of a sudden he was doing it. I have NO idea why. Please someone enlighten me.

• jwbiii - Aug 8, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Antlers.

• Senor Cardgage - Aug 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM

The signs are kind of goofy, and Young’s not a showy guy at all. Big deal.

16. rangerfan72 - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM

11th youngest to 2000 hits? 3rd fastest right-handed batter to 2000 hits?

Could it be that you are underrating Michael Young’s accomplishment?

17. Lukehart80 - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Brandon McCarthy, perhaps the best Tweeter in MLB did not appreciate your post either.

18. Ari Collins - Aug 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM

God forbid you ever actually trash Michael Young.

19. normb11 - Aug 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM

When Adrian Beltre gets 4 more hits, can you please use the same article and just swap out the names? That would be kind of funny.

20. micker716 - Aug 8, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Don’t worry about it, Aaron. The Cowboys first preseason game is in three days and nobody in Dallas will care about Michael Young, the Rangers , or Baseball (unless they get back to the World Series, they sure love a winner).

21. shea801 - Aug 9, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Aaron, you can say whatever you want as long as you reference xkcd.com

I love that site.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3905)