Aug 8, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
This morning I wrote a 157-word post about Michael Young reaching 2,000 career hits, saying the milestone “might be just a bit overrated” because he’s the 234th player to reach it and “no one really makes a big deal about” the 202 hitters with 250 homers or the 203 pitchers with 150 wins.
While writing the post it didn’t strike me as particularly inflammatory, as I focused on the 2,000-hit milestone rather than Young specifically. Just a little historical context about a round number being reached and no real criticisms to speak of.
Or so I thought.
Turns out, Rangers fans are very angry at me now. Here’s a sampling of some comments on Lone Star Ball, which is the Rangers blog on SBNation:
* Somebody’s gotta be the douchebag.
* Yep…going to go out of his way to hate
* What a completely worthless article.
* What a f***tard.
* Aaron who? Never heard of the guy.
* Stupid article.
* What a poorly conceived swipe.
* Tell Aaron to grab a bat and get busy since its no big deal.
* Don’t tell Aaron Gleeman, but this article is completely worthless and irrelevant.
* He and Calcaterra derive too much pleasure out of being contrarians and raining on parades. It’s like that’s the only joy they have in their lives.
There’s a lot more where those come from, but you get the idea. I’d hate to see how mad Rangers fans get when someone writes something that actually criticizes Young and/or is more than four paragraphs.
I will say that the “Gleemans gonna gleem” comment cracked me up and most of their name-calling is right on the money. But only by coincidence. Also, I’m banning myself from any further meta-posts, unless someone else calls me a bad name. Which probably won’t ever happen again anyway.
Cartoon via xkcd.com.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)