Aug 8, 2011, 4:47 PM EST
This morning I wrote a 157-word post about Michael Young reaching 2,000 career hits, saying the milestone “might be just a bit overrated” because he’s the 234th player to reach it and “no one really makes a big deal about” the 202 hitters with 250 homers or the 203 pitchers with 150 wins.
While writing the post it didn’t strike me as particularly inflammatory, as I focused on the 2,000-hit milestone rather than Young specifically. Just a little historical context about a round number being reached and no real criticisms to speak of.
Or so I thought.
Turns out, Rangers fans are very angry at me now. Here’s a sampling of some comments on Lone Star Ball, which is the Rangers blog on SBNation:
* Somebody’s gotta be the douchebag.
* Yep…going to go out of his way to hate
* What a completely worthless article.
* What a f***tard.
* Aaron who? Never heard of the guy.
* Stupid article.
* What a poorly conceived swipe.
* Tell Aaron to grab a bat and get busy since its no big deal.
* Don’t tell Aaron Gleeman, but this article is completely worthless and irrelevant.
* He and Calcaterra derive too much pleasure out of being contrarians and raining on parades. It’s like that’s the only joy they have in their lives.
There’s a lot more where those come from, but you get the idea. I’d hate to see how mad Rangers fans get when someone writes something that actually criticizes Young and/or is more than four paragraphs.
I will say that the “Gleemans gonna gleem” comment cracked me up and most of their name-calling is right on the money. But only by coincidence. Also, I’m banning myself from any further meta-posts, unless someone else calls me a bad name. Which probably won’t ever happen again anyway.
Cartoon via xkcd.com.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)