Aug 8, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Shin-Soo Choo is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment today with Class A Lake County.
Choo required surgery after being hit in the left thumb by a pitch on June 24. He began taking batting practice last week and was cleared to return after having his surgically-repaired thumb examined by Dr. Thomas Graham on Saturday and making it through BP with Lake County yesterday with no issues.
This has been a disappointing season for Choo in many respects. In addition to his DUI in the spring and recent thumb injury, the 29-year-old outfielder is batting just .244/.333/.353 with five homers, 28 RBI and a .687 OPS over 306 plate appearances.
It’s not known how many at-bats Choo will need in the minor leagues, but he has previously said that he would like to return during a series against the White Sox from August 16-18. While he should be back sometime within the next two weeks, that might not be quick enough to help the reeling Indians. After losing eight of their last 12, the Indians currently sit at 56-56, four games behind the first-place Tigers in the American League Central.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)