Aug 8, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Shin-Soo Choo is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment today with Class A Lake County.
Choo required surgery after being hit in the left thumb by a pitch on June 24. He began taking batting practice last week and was cleared to return after having his surgically-repaired thumb examined by Dr. Thomas Graham on Saturday and making it through BP with Lake County yesterday with no issues.
This has been a disappointing season for Choo in many respects. In addition to his DUI in the spring and recent thumb injury, the 29-year-old outfielder is batting just .244/.333/.353 with five homers, 28 RBI and a .687 OPS over 306 plate appearances.
It’s not known how many at-bats Choo will need in the minor leagues, but he has previously said that he would like to return during a series against the White Sox from August 16-18. While he should be back sometime within the next two weeks, that might not be quick enough to help the reeling Indians. After losing eight of their last 12, the Indians currently sit at 56-56, four games behind the first-place Tigers in the American League Central.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)