Aug 8, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT
So much for Jim Leyland and Dave Dombrowski potentially being on the hot seat in Detroit.
With the Tigers four games up in the AL Central race in search of their first division title since 1987 the team just announced contract extensions for the manager and general manager, with Leyland’s deal now going through next season and Dombrowski signed through 2015.
Both men were in the final year of their current deals and back in spring training it was a sore subject for Leyland, who made a point of not wanting to talk about his status and dropped a hint about Dombrowski’s responsibility if the Tigers had another disappointing season. That’s a moot point now, as the Tigers have emerged as the class of the admittedly extremely underwhelming AL Central with a 48-38 record since a sluggish April.
Leyland has a 485-440 (.524) record in six seasons as Detroit’s manager, with his lone playoff appearance coming in 2006 as the team advanced to the World Series. Dombrowski has been GM since 2002, rebuilding the roster from back-to-back 100-loss seasons to post winning records in five of the past six years.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)