Aug 8, 2011, 12:40 PM EST
So much for Jim Leyland and Dave Dombrowski potentially being on the hot seat in Detroit.
With the Tigers four games up in the AL Central race in search of their first division title since 1987 the team just announced contract extensions for the manager and general manager, with Leyland’s deal now going through next season and Dombrowski signed through 2015.
Both men were in the final year of their current deals and back in spring training it was a sore subject for Leyland, who made a point of not wanting to talk about his status and dropped a hint about Dombrowski’s responsibility if the Tigers had another disappointing season. That’s a moot point now, as the Tigers have emerged as the class of the admittedly extremely underwhelming AL Central with a 48-38 record since a sluggish April.
Leyland has a 485-440 (.524) record in six seasons as Detroit’s manager, with his lone playoff appearance coming in 2006 as the team advanced to the World Series. Dombrowski has been GM since 2002, rebuilding the roster from back-to-back 100-loss seasons to post winning records in five of the past six years.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)