Yankees are third team in six weeks to release J.C. Romero

Aug 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT

Romero

J.C. Romero has been very busy changing teams and signing contracts lately.

He was released by the Phillies on June 24, signed a minor-league deal with the Nationals on June 29, got released by Washington on July 14, inked another minor-league contract with the Yankees that same day, and has now been released by the Yankees.

Romero reportedly asked out of his contract with the Yankees, feeling he’d have a better shot of making it back to the majors in a different organization. He’s running out of other teams and running out of time in the minor-league season.

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 8, 2011 at 6:27 PM

He’s done. I watched him pitch the whole year with the Phillies and stated he was done. Some people debated me that his stats were good against left handed pitchers and this is the reason that the Phillies should not have dumped him. Now the Yankees have. Is there now any questions?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 8, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Yeah, 58 thumbs down. To those 13 that thumbed me up, you know what you are talking about. To the 58 that thumbed me down, well…I’m speechless.

2. xmatt0926x - Aug 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Don’t know if he’s done, but he’s done with good teams. You just can’t trust the guy which is why Boston released him several years ago. When Charlie (players manager) Manuel said he had better start showing him something soon you knew he was going bad. Charlie never says anything bad about a specific player. I also don’t like the fact that when confronted with his bad performances JC would take no blame.

3. pisano - Aug 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM

If the Yankees let a left handed reliever walk he must be finished. They need another lefty out of the pen in the worst way.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Yeah, it wasn’t like he was getting lit up in the minors and the Yankees only have Boone Logan on the roster. I wonder if there is more behind not bringing him up then just his stuff.

4. phillyphan975 - Aug 9, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Halladay, you are right, he is toast… I love the Hunter Pence trade, BUT I think cutting Romero was the best move all year (in my sarcastic voice)… IF steroids some how become legal in MLB this season I would sign him to a short contract…

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM

“IF steroids some how become legal in MLB this season I would sign him to a short contract…”

Maybe he should have just asked Mets fans for hugs and smiled more- Big Papi’s been cheating the game for about 10 yrs with a smile on his face and MLB just looks the other way.

• kellyb9 - Aug 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Really? They guy took a banned substance… not steroids, but thats completely beside the point, the reason he was released had nothing to do with velocity. The guy has great stuff, he just can’t get any of his stuff over the plate.

5. flyeaglesfly23 - Aug 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

At least now he’ll have more time for his real passion…brow waxing…

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3342)