Aug 9, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Adam Dunn famously doesn’t swing a bat during the offseason and that approach has certainly worked for a long time, as he came into this season with an OPS above .800 in each of his first 10 years.
However, with Dunn going through an epic collapse that includes a .165 batting average and league-leading 143 strikeouts in 97 games this season the struggling slugger told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that he plans to change his offseason approach “to not let this happen again.”
It seems unlikely that not hitting during the offseason has finally caught up to Dunn a decade into his big-league career, but given how horrible he’s been and how much money the White Sox still owe him through 2014 it’s good to see a willingness to do whatever the team asks. Basically, when you hit during the season you can get away with not hitting at all during the offseason, but when that’s no longer the case it can’t hurt to pick up a bat in December.
What’s amazing about Dunn’s collapse is that at no point has he gotten hot for even a few weeks at a time, with month-by-month batting averages of .160, .204, .136, .145, and .167. May is the only time he topped a .600 OPS and his overall mark versus left-handed pitchers is a ridiculous 3-for-78 (.038) with zero homers and 35 strikeouts.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)