Aug 9, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Adam Dunn famously doesn’t swing a bat during the offseason and that approach has certainly worked for a long time, as he came into this season with an OPS above .800 in each of his first 10 years.
However, with Dunn going through an epic collapse that includes a .165 batting average and league-leading 143 strikeouts in 97 games this season the struggling slugger told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that he plans to change his offseason approach “to not let this happen again.”
It seems unlikely that not hitting during the offseason has finally caught up to Dunn a decade into his big-league career, but given how horrible he’s been and how much money the White Sox still owe him through 2014 it’s good to see a willingness to do whatever the team asks. Basically, when you hit during the season you can get away with not hitting at all during the offseason, but when that’s no longer the case it can’t hurt to pick up a bat in December.
What’s amazing about Dunn’s collapse is that at no point has he gotten hot for even a few weeks at a time, with month-by-month batting averages of .160, .204, .136, .145, and .167. May is the only time he topped a .600 OPS and his overall mark versus left-handed pitchers is a ridiculous 3-for-78 (.038) with zero homers and 35 strikeouts.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 53
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 29
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)