Aug 9, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Adam Dunn famously doesn’t swing a bat during the offseason and that approach has certainly worked for a long time, as he came into this season with an OPS above .800 in each of his first 10 years.
However, with Dunn going through an epic collapse that includes a .165 batting average and league-leading 143 strikeouts in 97 games this season the struggling slugger told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that he plans to change his offseason approach “to not let this happen again.”
It seems unlikely that not hitting during the offseason has finally caught up to Dunn a decade into his big-league career, but given how horrible he’s been and how much money the White Sox still owe him through 2014 it’s good to see a willingness to do whatever the team asks. Basically, when you hit during the season you can get away with not hitting at all during the offseason, but when that’s no longer the case it can’t hurt to pick up a bat in December.
What’s amazing about Dunn’s collapse is that at no point has he gotten hot for even a few weeks at a time, with month-by-month batting averages of .160, .204, .136, .145, and .167. May is the only time he topped a .600 OPS and his overall mark versus left-handed pitchers is a ridiculous 3-for-78 (.038) with zero homers and 35 strikeouts.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 42
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 29
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 82
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)