Aug 9, 2011, 1:17 PM EDT
The newspaper reports that the meeting will take place “in a few days” at MLB’s offices in New York, but commissioner Bud Selig likely won’t be there and the talks aren’t expected to lead to much of anything.
Here’s what an unnamed “source” told the Daily News:
This has been overblown. They just want to talk to him just to tell him to stop getting in these crazy situations. There is no chance he will be suspended. There is no chance a suspension would be upheld by an arbitrator, based on what we know about this. Everybody plays cards on team planes and in clubhouses. This is no different.
Obviously the Yankees and MLB would prefer that Rodriguez not play in high-stakes poker games, particularly given some of the other details about the people and places involved, but ultimately the “high-stakes” aspect is of little concern for a guy who earns $200,000 per day and MLB seems to be making it an issue largely because he’s continued to play after being warned not to.
In addition to reportedly playing with fellow stars like Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon in exclusive Hollywood home games Rodriguez has also squared off against well-known poker pros in Las Vegas, drawing mixed reviews on his no-limit hold ’em skills from Mike Matusow and Jean-Robert Bellande.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)