Aug 9, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
It was probably a little on the optimistic side considering that oblique strains usually sideline players for far longer, so it shouldn’t come as a major surprise that the Braves have decided to go the conservative route. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that McCann will likely wait until Friday to begin a minor league rehab assignment.
McCann just took batting practice for the first time yesterday, so the prospect of playing in a rehab game as soon as tomorrow was probably pushing it a bit. If he does indeed begin his rehab assignment Friday, he will likely be activated on Sunday or Monday, instead. Still, we’re talking about a pretty rapid turnaround from an oblique injury.
McCann, 27, is batting .306/.375/.514 with 18 home runs and 55 RBI over 373 plate appearances this season. He is currently tied with J.P. Arencibia and Mike Napoli for home run lead among MLB catchers while only Napoli has a higher OPS.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (152)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)