Aug 9, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
It was probably a little on the optimistic side considering that oblique strains usually sideline players for far longer, so it shouldn’t come as a major surprise that the Braves have decided to go the conservative route. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that McCann will likely wait until Friday to begin a minor league rehab assignment.
McCann just took batting practice for the first time yesterday, so the prospect of playing in a rehab game as soon as tomorrow was probably pushing it a bit. If he does indeed begin his rehab assignment Friday, he will likely be activated on Sunday or Monday, instead. Still, we’re talking about a pretty rapid turnaround from an oblique injury.
McCann, 27, is batting .306/.375/.514 with 18 home runs and 55 RBI over 373 plate appearances this season. He is currently tied with J.P. Arencibia and Mike Napoli for home run lead among MLB catchers while only Napoli has a higher OPS.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)