Aug 9, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
It was probably a little on the optimistic side considering that oblique strains usually sideline players for far longer, so it shouldn’t come as a major surprise that the Braves have decided to go the conservative route. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that McCann will likely wait until Friday to begin a minor league rehab assignment.
McCann just took batting practice for the first time yesterday, so the prospect of playing in a rehab game as soon as tomorrow was probably pushing it a bit. If he does indeed begin his rehab assignment Friday, he will likely be activated on Sunday or Monday, instead. Still, we’re talking about a pretty rapid turnaround from an oblique injury.
McCann, 27, is batting .306/.375/.514 with 18 home runs and 55 RBI over 373 plate appearances this season. He is currently tied with J.P. Arencibia and Mike Napoli for home run lead among MLB catchers while only Napoli has a higher OPS.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)