Aug 9, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Remember last week when David Ortiz burst into Terry Francona’s media session and went on a profanity-laced tirade over a lost RBI, the result of a changed scoring decision?
Pedroia told Ortiz that John Henry and Theo Epstein ordered the official scorer to take away Ortiz’s RBI in an effort to keep Ortiz’s stat totals low and therefore give him less leverage when it comes time to negotiate a new contract.
It sure makes Ortiz sound awfully gullible, but he was upset about losing the RBI anyway and this likely just provided the nudge that sent him over the edge.
Fortunately, Ortiz has recovered well. Last night, he homered and singled in the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth in the win over the Twins. He’s on pace to drive in 105 runs, which would be his high total since he finished with 117 in 2007.
Update: Lo and behold, Ortiz has been credited with the RBI after all.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)