Aug 9, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
As rumored yesterday, Kevin Millwood will start for Colorado on Wednesday after opting out of his minor-league deal with the Red Sox to sign with the Rockies.
Millwood went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA for the Orioles last season and didn’t pitch particularly well for the Yankees and Red Sox at Triple-A this year, but the Rockies need someone to eat innings with Juan Nicasio out and the 36-year-old right-hander fits the bill at the cost of just a prorated minimum salary.
How long Millwood will remain in the rotation is unclear, but his first matchup is a relatively favorable one. Not only does he avoid Coors Field, making the start on the road in Cincinnati, the Reds’ lineup ranks just ninth among NL teams with a .714 OPS versus right-handed pitching.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)