Aug 9, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
As rumored yesterday, Kevin Millwood will start for Colorado on Wednesday after opting out of his minor-league deal with the Red Sox to sign with the Rockies.
Millwood went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA for the Orioles last season and didn’t pitch particularly well for the Yankees and Red Sox at Triple-A this year, but the Rockies need someone to eat innings with Juan Nicasio out and the 36-year-old right-hander fits the bill at the cost of just a prorated minimum salary.
How long Millwood will remain in the rotation is unclear, but his first matchup is a relatively favorable one. Not only does he avoid Coors Field, making the start on the road in Cincinnati, the Reds’ lineup ranks just ninth among NL teams with a .714 OPS versus right-handed pitching.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)