Aug 9, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
Lenny Dykstra was back in court yesterday, wearing an orange jump suit and handcuffs at his arraignment hearing in California.
Dykstra is charged with 25 counts including grand theft auto, attempted grand theft auto, filing false financial statements, and possessing a controlled substance.
Dan Whitcomb of Reuters reports that he faces up to 12 years in prison for allegedly running a “scheme to lease high-end automobiles from dealerships using fraudulent information and claiming credit through a phony business.”
The “controlled substance” part comes from the cocaine, ecstasy, and synthetic growth hormone found when police searched Dykstra’s home as part of the initial investigation. And he was already facing up to 80 years in prison stemming from a May indictment accusing Dykstra “of stealing or destroying some $400,000 in property that was part of his bankruptcy case.”
In other words, orange might be Nails’ color for a while.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)