Lenny Dykstra looks good in orange

Aug 9, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT

Former Major League baseball player Lenny Dykstra appears Los Angeles Superior court for an arraignment in San Fernando, California Reuters

Lenny Dykstra was back in court yesterday, wearing an orange jump suit and handcuffs at his arraignment hearing in California.

Dykstra is charged with 25 counts including grand theft auto, attempted grand theft auto, filing false financial statements, and possessing a controlled substance.

Dan Whitcomb of Reuters reports that he faces up to 12 years in prison for allegedly running a “scheme to lease high-end automobiles from dealerships using fraudulent information and claiming credit through a phony business.”

The “controlled substance” part comes from the cocaine, ecstasy, and synthetic growth hormone found when police searched Dykstra’s home as part of the initial investigation. And he was already facing up to 80 years in prison stemming from a May indictment accusing Dykstra “of stealing or destroying some $400,000 in property that was part of his bankruptcy case.”

In other words, orange might be Nails’ color for a while.

1. SmackSaw - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM

If he would’ve played for the Giants, that’s what he would’ve looked like.

• addictedzone - Aug 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Could be Rickie Fowler’s caddy on any given Sunday

2. hittfamily - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM

When did Lenny join the Bengals?

3. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM

He just looks so sad. Maybe I should loan him some money.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

DON’T DO IT!!!!!!!

4. frankvzappa - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Is mentally challenged an acceptable defense?

• kopy - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I believe playing 11 years of Major League Baseball would preclude a defendant from being able to build this defense without some sort of severe accident.

• paperlions - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Everyone that has every met Manny Ramirez disagrees.

5. halladaysbiceps - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM

As a Phillies fan (and I’m sure Mets fans too), Dykstra brought much baseball joy to our lives as a baseball player. But, this is who the guy is, I guess. I cannot say anymore. You just hope the guy gets the picture, does his jail time (which I think is going to happen), and can learn from this. I don’t know. Crazy things Dykstra did. What else can you say?

• SmackSaw - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM

“I don’t know.”

Perfect quote from you.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Yeah, right. What intelligent insites have you ever added to any discussions on this website? You throw in your occasional condesending remark, and that’s about it. Go comment on a website that cares about your non-baseball knowledge.

• Old Gator - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM

halladays: I agree. He and Wally Backman were a terrific 1-2 combo leading off for the Mutts, and it was indeed a joy to watch Dykstra play baseball during my years of being stuck in New York. It saddens me to see a player I loved to watch so much sink so low, so stupidly.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I don’t think he’s getting out of jail. Too many counts.

6. shaggylocks - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Looks like the prison yard team just found themselves a ringer…

• cur68 - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM

If by ‘ringer’ you mean a guy who’ll call them and ask for favours/cash/drugs/sex that he can’t repay then you are correct.

• SmackSaw - Aug 9, 2011 at 2:59 PM

What the hell league you been playing in?
      California Penal…

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM

What are you now? A tough guy? “Penal…” Yeah, sums it up for your comments.

• jwbiii - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Never heard of it. How’d you end up playing there?
        Stole a Maybach.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Halladay, that was from Major League.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I know the quote, Hair. But, SmackSaw is an a** as he pulled a cheapshot at me in his reply to my Dykstra comment above. He’s trying to get under my skin with that comment and I don’t appreciate it.

• shaggylocks - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Good thing it didn’t work, eh halladay?

• loungefly74 - Aug 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM

my goodness…the insecurity drenched on halladay. haha!

dykstra should ask his buddy darren daulton to travel back in time and fix this whole mess.

7. paul621 - Aug 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I would have believed you if you told me that was a pic of the guy from Law and Order Criminal Intent.

8. dexterismyhero - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Lenny was a jucier also.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3975)