MLB hypes Yankees-Red Sox ratings

Aug 9, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT

Josh Reddick, Dustin Pedroia Reuters

According to a series of tweets from the MLB Public Relations department Tuesday:

- Friday night’s Yankees-Red Sox game on MLB Network was its highest rated game of the year and second highest ever behind Stephen Strasburg‘s debut in 2010.

- Saturday’s Yankees-Red Sox game on FOX was the most watched non-prime time MLB broadcast for the network in over three years and averaged 4.1 million viewers.

- Sunday night’s Yankees-Red Sox game was ESPN’s most watched regular-season game in over four years, averaging 4.72 million viewers.

So, the rivalry is alive and well, apparently, even if it looks like both teams are going to cruise into the playoffs this year.  The Red Sox won the second and third games of the series and are now 10-2 against the Bombers this season.  They’re 71-43 overall, giving them the best record in the AL.  The Yankees, a mere 1 1/2 games behind in the AL East at 69-44, have a seven-game lead over the Angels in the wild card.

1. cur68 - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Have I mentioned that the HBT team has a gift for picture-article matching? I mean, just look at that shot…takes your breath away don’t it?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

It’s like the haves and the have-nots.

• cur68 - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Yup. They look so happy together too. just warms my frost bitten little heart.

• evanpenn - Aug 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Is Reddick doing a commercial for the Trojan Vibrating Triphoria? His hair looks blown back…

• hittfamily - Aug 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM

awesome!!!! thumbs up. Funniest comment of the day.

2. kopy - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Well, the longer a game lasts, the more likely someone will tune into it even based on pure chance, so I don’t doubt this for a second.

3. Utley's Hair - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Did Saturday’s numbers include the viewers who were taken to Fenway after the other games were over, since, you know, the Yankers-BooSux games always take forever?

4. citynative - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:38 PM

The best media hyped rivalry is yankees and red sox. The best actual rivalry is phillies abd giants. These games actually feature pitching, intensity, and are played in less than 7 hours.

• 18thstreet - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Wow, pitching and intensity. Certainly not the kind of things you see when Josh Beckett, CC Sabathia, Jon Lester, and Mariano Rivera are involved.

• kopy - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I can remember the exact time I last bought into the whole Yankees-Red Sox hype:

• screename529 - Aug 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Didn’t realize you could become the #1 rivalry after 9 months and 3 entire series.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM

…and not even be in the same division.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 9, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Bad offenses tend to go down quickly…

5. banksatdixie - Aug 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

When did Reddick turn into Jayson Werth?

6. Phillies Homer - Aug 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

This is odd… I’m usually in tune to whenever Yanks/Sox rivalry to see if anything goes down. But, this past weekend I only realized it on Sunday that they were playing and I thought to myself, “Hmmm, didn’t hear much hype about this series… I guess the rivalry is getting a bit more calm.”

Guess I was wrong… but I still think some kind of fuel needs to be added to this fire, as I think it is starting to get “calm”. At the rate Red Sox pitchers are falling off the earth… could we see a Pedro Martinez sighting for the Sox? I’d love to watch him throw at some Yanks again!

7. patsandsox - Aug 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM

That final series in September should be pretty hyped unless one of the teams falls apart.

Three legends off to Cooperstown